rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Sheldon Hall

To be honest, I've always thought "The Third Man" was a bit overrated, but I seem to be in a small minority... still a good film, though.
rich

You know I can see that. The Third Man is a very famous film and very "popular". Gets talked about alot. For me, I find the film one of the best in identifying how individuals work their morality to fit their view of the world andn how they deal with ethical questions. And Cotton playing Martins is just great showing the cost of one's illusions. So the great British film is.....????????..... Wink

Leaving "Zulu" aside (naturally), I'd say the 1942 wartime short "Listen to Britain" is the definitive British film about Britain.
rich

Shedlon...That's interesting. I'd love to see it. Do you think it's perhaps available for our region here? If not I just may have to get an all-region player. More and more I've been watching non-US produced films.
And oh I see the Third Man is #1 on a 1999 BFI list of the greatest Brit films (wikipedia). Updated? Anyway, I'm going to move #43 up to no.1.."A Man for All Seasons!" I love that film and Bolt's writing.

Hi Sheldon and John Y.,
Many thanks for your clarification. I'll keep this information handy.
Cheers,
Harold
Sheldon Hall

Rich, here's the Amazon.com marketplace listing for LTB and other short films by the director, Humphrey Jennings: http://www.amazon.com/Listen-Britain-Other-Humphrey-Jennings/dp/B00006674B/ref=sr_1_1?i.e.=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1290437709&sr=1-1
It's a bit expensive, though: the cheapest (used) copy is $179.95 and the most expensive is $1,003.91! Fortunately, you can buy the same Region 1 edition as an import for �25: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Listen-Britain-Other-Films-Region/dp/B00006674B/ref=sr_1_6?s=dvd&i.e.=UTF8&qid=1290437876&sr=1-6
Sheldon Hall

P.S. I love A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS too.
rich

Thanks for that Sheldon. I hope to pick it up. And I thought getting a bagel and a cup of coffee in Victoria Station was expensive.... Wink

It would be if you were importing them to the US...
richard

i had zulu the true story in the timewatch series and secrets of the dead zulu episode but sadly i lost both videos. i would be grateful if anyone can help me out in obtaining copies of both documentaries.
thanks
richard
Documentaries