rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
New 'Zulu' Exhibition at Cardiff Castle
AMB

Dear All,

There's a new exhibition at Cardiff Castle�s Firing Line: Museum of The Welsh Soldier, from February 26. See the following:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/Wales-news/2011/02/17/exhibition-spears-the-zulu-myths-about-rorke-s-drift-91466-28185143/#ixzz1ELE3uTiK

AMB
Alan
Site Admin

"Bill Cainan, new curator at the South Wales Borderers Museum in Brecon,"?

The regimental march at the time was Lincolnshire Lads. And they wore khaki instead of the red tunics...

So they were the Lincolnshire Regiment and ahead of their time!

John Y.
AMB

I thought this would cause some comments!!

Particularly liked the one about the lack of red tunics!

My mother has a better of the events in 1879 than these people.....

Do you think this is a [very] early April fool joke?

AMB
Alan
Site Admin

BBC radio Wales recently reported a memorial ceremony at Pte. John Williams grave in Llantarnam. He was a VC recipient from the Boer War apparently!

I think the people reporting on these matters make only a fleeting effort the get the facts right. I can't believe Bill Cainan would say that.

Hi Everyone

Well, what can I say !

The Curator appointment ? Yes, it is correct, I will be taking over from Martin Everett as Curator of the Regimental Museum of the Royal Welsh as of 1st March.

I think this is the perfect opportunity to reflect on what Martin has done for the Regimental Museum. There is not a single living person who knows more about the 24th/SWB/RRW than Martin. His knowledge is legendary and of course it�s not something that I can easily pick up (if ever), nor is it something we can afford to lose. An impossible act to follow. Fortunately Martin will not be disappearing completely and is currently working on getting all the Museum�s archives on to line. He will be there to advise and keep me regimentally correct. In the event of any errors appearing, you can have no doubt that they will be all mine, and not Martin�s !

This leads me nicely to the latest thread. Thanks to all the regulars for pointing out (with glee ?) the errors, and a special �thank you� to Alan for leaping to my defence. The article appeared as a whole page special in the local newspaper � the �Western Mail� - as a taster for the �Zulu Exhibition� which is opening in Firing Line � the Museum of the Welsh Soldier - on the 26th February. I was interviewed for 45 minutes on the telephone the previous day, and to be fair, the reporter did seem to understand most of what I said and did get about 90% of it correct in her article. As to the errors eg Khaki v. Red ? Well, I had been referring to the dyeing of the sun helmet and equipment, but of course we all knew that ! With no opportunity to proof read, what can you do !!!!!! All I can do is make a note of those making adverse comments and ban them from the Museum !!!!

Bill Cainan

Congratulations on your appointment Bill. I take it the ammo box will find its way into the building....

All the best
Carl
Alan
Site Admin

Yes in deed. Congratulations Bill. We shall of course miss Martin who has been the life and soul of the subject. Good luck to him for the future.

I shall have to pop down some time to help you with any problems you might have!!??

Carl:

Thanks for the good wishes.

No, the ammunition box is still doing good service with my AZW lectures.

Alan:

Thanks for the IT help

All:

Martin has informed me that it may be outside my powers to ban people coming to the Museum merely for being critical on rdvc ! However, I do have two very aggressive grandsons aged 6 and 4, who will fight my cause if need be. Both are word perfect on the film "Zulu" and are experts in the use of assegai and knobkerrie !

Because of his vast knowledge, Martin will not be allowed to divorce himself from the Museum. I do have plans which will involve a taxidermist and a glass case !

Bill
peterw

Bill

Many congratulations. I envy the fact that you have managed to combine your hobby with employment. I don't doubt the hard work involved but if you have a passion for what you do, going to work almost becomes a pleasure.

Thanks also to Martin for his assistance over the years.

I think it may be pushing it to arrange an RDVC event in 2011 but perhaps we can resurrect Mel's suggestion and put something in the diary for 2012.

Peter
Peter Ewart

Many congratulations from me too, Bill. The place will certainly be in good hands. And, of course, acknowledgements to Martin for his custodianship over the years and for sharing so much with this site and forum.

Peter
AMB

Bill,

Many congratulations on your new appointment. A challenge that I am sure you will excel at. I'm sure the [now] Royal Welch boys will pull hard to welcome you to your new post. Did you serve in one of the Bns?

All the very best to Martin for his future endeavors and many thanks for his knowledge and humour whilst on this site.

AMB
Keith Smith

All

Congratulations to Bill, of course ... he well deserves the confidence now reposed in him.

I have known Martin for some ten years now and during my visits to Brecon, and when he was there too, it was almost embarrassing to find one's desk (yes, they give you a desk in the back for research) starting to overflow with archives, whether requested or not. Martin will go that extra mile to bring material to one's attention, and will happily photocopy stuff in which one is interested. The same goes for the Museum staff, of whom Celia Green is the stalwart. Would that every regimental museum was so accommodating.

So, very good luck to Martin, and best wishes to Bill and his staff.

KIS
Bill Cainan 3

Hi all

Taking up on PeterW's point - yes, I will be looking at an AZW themed weekend, along the lines of the last one, to be held in Brecon in the Spring of 2012. I will sort out a date shortly and post that. The details of the event will then follow in due course.

AMB - No, I'm afraid I've never served with the SWB/Welch Regt/RRW/Royal Welsh - my service of 37 years was as a Sapper. Mind you in terms of a 24th/RE link, I suppose there's always RD !

Thanks for all the good wishes. I will do my very best to try and maintain the standards set by Martin.

Bill
rich

Bill...
Best to you in your new challenging role coming after Martin. The museum is in great hands. And the best to Martin in his new endeavors. So in keeping with your Regimental inauguration are you perhaps contemplating giving free replica assegais to all museum goers in 2011 with miniature ammo boxes to boot??????......... Wink