rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Order of orders
Sawubona

I've got several books that note the particulars of the pieces of gear which were included in each of the various orders of dress (such as two ammunition pouches as part of "marching order"), but none of them explain the order in which the sundry overlapping pieces were put on. Should the water bottle for example go on before the braces with it's sling under the brace strap or should it be put on after the braces so that it can be removed without removing the braces and the ammo pouches they support? And how about the linen "bread bag"? Under or over the other brace strap? Would this vary among the different orders of dress depending upon whether the goal is appearance or practicality? Were I in action for example, I wouldn't want to have to unbuckle my ammo pouches and take off the water bottle in order to shed a bread bag that was only getting in the way at that time. Thoughts?
Adrian Whiting

Sawubona,

The order of donning the Valise Equipment was described in the relevant "Instructions for fitting Valise Equipment", issued for each successive set.

Having looked again at a copy of the instructions for the 1882 Valise Equipment, I recall that each set required the haversack to be worn first, over the right shoulder (bag thus on the left hip) before the main waistbelt and shoulder straps were put on. The bayonet scabbard, in its frog, was then fed down behind the haversack to stop it from swinging. The water bottle was put on last, so that it could easily be removed and used/refilled, and was worn over the left shoulder (other than for a brief period when it was worn on a waistbelt clip).

When empty, the haversack bag element was rolled up and buttoned on itself so it was not in the way at all. Accordingly, it was not intended that it would be taken off simply when in action.

This means that the haversack sling sits under the waistbelt and shoulder braces, and the waterbottle strap over them. The only notable variation with the waterbottle strap was that if the soldier was not in "Marching Order" (with the 1882 set) then the rear portion alone of the waterbottle strap was passed inside the waistbelt, in Marching Order both portions sat outside the waistbelt.

Sawubona

Precisely the information I sought! Thanks for that, Adrian. You've also explained the intention of that odd, "extra" button on the haversack.
Order of orders