rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
"Stanley Baker - A Life in Film"
The Scorer

I've just finished reading this book, which has been written by Robert Shail and published by the University of Wales Press.

It isn't a full biography (and doesn't claim to be), but it is the story of Stanley Baker's acting career. It starts with how (and why) it started and continues with a description of all the film and television work he did, in a career that lasted from 1943 to 1975.

I'm not a great one for analysing what a particular film or character actually means or represents (or may do in the opinion of a critic etc.). However, I did find a lot of the descriptions very interesting, and it taught me a great deal about his career, of which I admit I knew very little.

There's a chapter ("The Hero of Rorke's Drift") devoted to "Zulu" and, whilst it doesn't say anything really new, it's a good illustration of what the film and the subject meant to Stanley. A constant theme in this chapter (and, for that matter, throughout the book) is his feeling of "Welshness" which was something that stayed with him all his life.

It is a good book, and I would recommend anyone who wants to know more about Stanley Baker to read it when they can.

Smile
rich

I'm thinking that with how long "Zulu" has been out Mr. Baker proved himself to have alot of fine business acumen. He certainly picked it good. I read that by '76 the film grossed about 12 million pounds worldwide. And what with the film finding itself on blu-ray and dvd the pound numbers now must be staggering and here I'm not even counting all the money that goes into travel down to SA and books published. Got to say "The Cruel Sea" probably led him on his way to Rorke's Drift. Also, around the time before "Zulu" he wanted to get "Rape of the Fair Country" made but I'm not sure if it got to the screen.