rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
peterw

Alan
Site Admin

Blimey!!!!!

Gosh - I took my Sheldon signed copy along to Waterstones a few months back in the hope of adding Michael Caine signiture, no luck, security would not allow me past, just think what it would have been worth otherwise Smile

rich

Have you guys continued to check prices? I see university students can RENT the book for about $888.00 a semester. But you can get a used copy for about $58 at www.half.com

peterw wrote:
I thought there might be a cheap copy on eBay - wrong!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Zulu-Some-Guts-Behind-It-Making-Epic-Movie-Sheldon-Hall-Accep-/230695920763?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item35b68c647b �563.06 Shocked Shocked
Peter

And that's one which to use their own description of it's condition:

"Condition: Acceptable: A book with obvious wear. May have some damage to the book cover but the book is still completely intact. The binding may be slightly damaged around the edges but it is still completely intact. May have some underlining and highlighting of text and some writing in the margins, but there are no missing pages or anything else that would compromise the readability or legibility of the text. See the seller�s listing for full details and description of any imperfections."

isn't in a perfect state!

Shocked but still Smile
Harry Faversham

I've collected books for thirty years and have sometimes paid daft money for 'em... it's a long time since I came across one like this though!

Shocked

Wonder if Mr. Hall is still teaching in Sheffield, might be an idea to see if he'd sign a copy, if he is?
Smile

Blimey (is that spelled right?), I just checked the USA site for Amazon.com and the aforementioned book increased in price from a low of $885 (you guys over the Pond can do the math) to a low of $998! The high, however, is still holding at $1,998. Looks as though Namibia's name might be changed to "Sawubonia" sooner than I'd expected Laughing
rich

You know there's this thing that I heard of called Internet "dynamic pricing" where pricing is quickly determined by supply and demand. I don't know but maybe there's been a sudden surge of Sheldon's book which impacts the book's price. Probably Internet software is contributing to this
but I'm not absolutely sure.

Site Admin

Cor that price surprised me. I nearly gave my copy away to Mick Jones - The Clash guitarist (a big fan of the film) Well I did give him it but he declined it as he already had a copy - he ended up giving it back to me and signing the inner page "To Stu, thank you so much for this, I hope you really enjoy this, Love Mick Jones"
I think he thought I hadnt read it before - he was certainly telling me how much he liked it.
Sawubona

I shamefully confess to having bought the copy that you mentioned, Rich and I think I'm glad I did as. there are three copies for sale on the US Amazon right now- 2 at $998 and one at something like $1975. Go figger!
Paul Bryant-Quinn

It gets worse (or better, depending on how you view it): Amazon is currently offering two second-hand copies, one for �862.54 (+ �2.80 delivery); the other for an eye-watering �999.99.

I swear, much as I love my copy of Zulu: With Some Guts Behind It, if the prices go any higher I'm going to sell it and buy a ch�teau somewhere warm ...
Alan
Site Admin

It's become my most valuable asset.

Just an fyi....

I've read that the Beatles LP Introducing the Beatles on Vee Jay records is going for get this $125,000 US dollars..that's for a "sealed" never opened copy. Not bad eh if you kept and bought yours from a small record shop say in Picadilly! So hold on to Shel's tome...you guys will be multiple-millionaires soon. Perhaps the coming pounds and euros will be like manna from heaven... Wink