rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Martini bayonet offering- scabbard?
Sawubona

Anyone familiar with the odd scabbard right now on the US Ebay as item 220942672265? It looks like a MH '76 bayonet from the pictures, although I get a '53 Enfield feeling as well. The photos aren't particularly good, but the scabbard looks a bit like one for a French Lebel. I just can't figure how one can cram any British socket bayonet that I know of into a Lebel bayonet scabbard. Am I missing something here? Neil?

And the ammunition box on at this very moment is noteworthy for it's creative description-- it's an "original reproduction". Jeezum, I love Ebay and it caveat emptor anarchy!

Anyone want to take a shot at item #400271838961. What are they?
Neil Aspinshaw

Its not British, more like a US Springfield bayonet, Proof marls looks like Liege, but its hard to tell

Kiwi Sapper

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
Sawubona wrote:

I'll give it a go......... All Heavily whitened
Frog. Pierre Turner page 31 #8
Pouch, repaired or modified. Page 83 #2

?

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
Sawubona

Ahhh, the Book of Turner, Chapter 83/ Verse 2 Wink . That was my first thought as well, Kiwi, but the shape of the '82 pouch appears to be a bit too "boxy" to be the same as that sold. It seems to me to be a bit more like the first pattern pouch for the '88 Slade Wallace kit-- the one issued for just one year or so to carry Martini-Henry ammo (Turner Page 87 #7). No internal partition though. Curiouser and curiouser...

I'll have to dig out a couple of bayonets, Neil, and see if a Springfield fits in Label scabbard just for yucks.
Kiwi Sapper

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
Gutted...........The case that is. not me Smile
I did consider that beastie but without a rear view and those long fold over flaps................
As they say, just a stab in the dark.

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
Sawubona

I'm thinking you're correct about the "gutted", so now I feel sorry that I didn't bid on it. Gutted or not, a vintage "pair" (they may not have been a pair if they're '88's since the left and right pouch were unmatched that year) of ammo pouches for $45 is a reasonable price even without the frog. If you snooze you lose!
Re: Martini bayonet offering- scabbard?
oldcontemtible

Sawubona wrote:
Anyone familiar with the odd scabbard right now on the US Ebay as item 220942672265? It looks like a MH '76 bayonet from the pictures, although I get a '53 Enfield feeling as well. The photos aren't particularly good, but the scabbard looks a bit like one for a French Lebel. I just can't figure how one can cram any British socket bayonet that I know of into a Lebel bayonet scabbard. Am I missing something here? Neil?

And the ammunition box on at this very moment is noteworthy for it's creative description-- it's an "original reproduction". Jeezum, I love Ebay and it caveat emptor anarchy!

the scabbard has a lot in common with this Belgian 1867 scabbard for a albini socket bayonet. Maybe hence the Liege markings, though I couldn't make them out myself.
http://www.abl1914.be/HulsbajAlbini1867/HulsbajAlbini186709.JPG

Guy
Martini bayonet offering- scabbard?