rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Lost Kingdoms Of Africa
Coll

Thursday 9th February 2012 - BBC4 11.10pm.

Lost Kingdoms Of Africa: The Zulu Kingdom - The history of South Africa's Zulu kingdom.

Coll
Lost Kingdoms of Africa
Robert John

Does anyone know if this programme will be repeated at a more reasonable hour -- it will be broadcast at 12.10 A.M over here !!

All

See attached link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01bs7f7

It looks like BBC4 will be broadcasting it at the following times/dates:

2100 Monday 6th Feb
0130 Tuesday 7th Feb
0400 Tuesday 7th Feb

I shall personally go for the earliest showing !!!!

Bill
Sawubona

Anyone have the capability and interest in recording it as a DVD? I'll be happy to pay the postage to States and buy him/her a Guiness as well. It sounds like it might be very interesting, but probably won't ever be broadcast here. Whether or not it is, it's moot point anyway since I don't get broadcast TV. Kindly drop me a PM if you can be of assistance.
Paul Bryant-Quinn

I for one sincerely hope that this programme doesn't only focus on the military aspect of Zulu history: there is so much more to the Zulu people and their culture than that.
Coll

There was an episode of this programme on last night, which gave a bit of an idea, obviously about another of the kingdoms, this one being in West Africa.

I didn't watch much of it as I put on a film, but you may be able to see it on Catch Up Tv.

Doesn't look like the focus is just the military aspect, but if it is going to be covering the history of the Zulu, Shaka wasn't known for inaction.

Coll
Lost Kingdoms
Robert John

I entirely agree Paul -- I find that their military prowess is given too much airing when one thinks of their culture and also their beautiful country.

Sawubona

I don't have a recording facility, but I'm not sure it'd be possible anyway, due, I think, to the States being a different Region for dvds, so it might not play.

However, I'm not sure how this aspect works, nor even what it means. Confused

Coll
Galloglas

Sawubona,

I have not tried to do this myself, but you might be able to access it through the BBC iPlayer.

See:http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/help/prog_availability/

The first in the series, on the Ashanti kingdom, is already available.

The programme style is very, shall we say, 'hip hop' with the wonderfeel euphemism of 'the unfree' being applied to what used to be called 'slaves'.

G
Sawubona

Thanks for the link, Galloglass. Unfortunately, "all of the iBBC Television programmes are only available in the UK" (oddly, it seems the radio programs are available here in The States). Maybe it's because we don't spell "programmes" with quite so many superfluous letters? I'd tried to end-run that constraint in the past without any success, but I believe I'll try again. Wink
Rob D

Hi,
I was after some BBC video a while ago and ran into the same problem (apparently the BBC begrudge the bandwidth for overseas viewers).
A bit of googling showed a number of ways around the issue - one whose URL I saved was:
http://www.expatshield.com/
Didn't try it myself (by the time I'd found it and sorted out how to use it I'd lost interest) but it might work for you.
Cheers,
Rob
oldcontemtible

I have a region free dvd player, but unfortunately BBC4 is on the digital cablenetwork so I can only record it on the decoder and not with my DVD player.

Guy
Sawubona

Rob, I researched expatshield and the consensus seemed to be that it's a "safe" program. So I downloaded it and installed it and it seems to have promise to view this and any of the several other BBC programs I've wanted to see. More about this later, perhaps in "off topic chit chat", where my post here (at least) belongs. Right now I don't think I'd recommend the installation of expatshield to anyone who is intimidated by their computer in general or by its giving about a dozen dire warnings from its firewall and antivirus programs concerning the terrible things that are happening to your hard drive in general and to your registry in particular. My "home page" somehow has become iBBC google (not sure how that happened Surprised ), but I'm looking forward to the challenge of getting things back on track again.

To anyone who might be interested in sending out hard copy discs of this program, I'm still interested.
Rob D

Hi Saw,
Yeah, I noted the "safe" reviews and recommendations too but running the thing did sound complex, which was one reason I lost interest.
Hope you get your system back OK - seem to recall it's something to do with exiting the browser, (and maybe rebooting the computer), reloading it (the browser) without having expatshield running in the background, and then resetting the home page - but don't take my word for it!
All in all I got the impression that maybe the way to go would be to have two browsers installed - one for looking at the BBC via expatshield, and one for everything else.
Complex indeed.
Best of luck!
Rob
Bill Cainan 3

Hi all

I hope you managed to get to see this programme. Considering they only had an hour to cover the history of the Zulus, they did a remarkable job. The camera work was breathtaking, particularly as they panned over the Isandlwana battlefield. Ian Knight's name appeared on the credits. There were interviews with some old favourites - Ken Gillings, Rob Caskie, and Lidizwe Dalton Ngobese. Dalton's dry humour was especially apt - when asked about why the Zulu kingdom fought against apparently hopeless odds, he replied "'well, it is the only kingdom we've got!'

Watch out for the repeats !

Bill
Lost Kingdoms Of Africa