rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu : The Truth Behind The Film. By Paul Raby
Coll

Apparently, this book was published in December 2009, but I've yet to read a detailed description of the contents.

Anyone know more about it ?

Thanks

Coll
Harold Raugh

Hi Coll,

I have not yet seen this book either, but here is some bibliographical information for it.

Raby, Paul. "Zulu" -- The Truth Behind the Film. York, UK: Paul Raby, 2009. 116 pp., paperback.

ISBN 0956430104
ISBN13 9780956430106

You may try your luck ordering a copy from the Blackwell's online website.

Good reading, Harold
Denton Van Zan

Paul

Many thanks for replying.

As I can't order via the net or e-mail, please would it be possible for you to send me the actual postal address where I can get the book, using the private message facility on this forum, including details of price and postage and who/where to make to the cheque out to ?

Thanks again

C.J.
Mark Hobson

I thought there was a rule against this kind of self-advertising? It's getting a little blatant.
Alan
Site Admin

This is true. I have now deleted Paul's adverts. I had hoped he would be happy enough with a free ad in the 'Marketplace'.

I wonder if Sheldon has bought this book, as I'd be interested to hear his opinion on its contents.

Coll
Bill Cainan 3

Coll

Of more concern is that Paul had no knowledge of Sheldon's book when he wrote his ! You can never do too much research !

Bill
The Scorer

I read this last week, having bought a copy from "Firing Line" at Cardiff Castle.

It's an interesting book, as I haven't seen the format (script with notes on the accuracy of each scene at regular intervals) used before. I think that it works, though, and it's a useful companion to Sheldon's book.

I was surprised that Sheldon's book doesn't feature in the bibliography, and I do agree that this is a concern.

Another aspect that is a disappointment is that the apparent myth of the drummer boys being killed and mutilated at Isandwhlana is repeated here. Mr Rabey also says that this resulted in future drummer boys being prevented from being on campaigns afterwards. I say "apparent" as I understand from a topic about this subject on the Victorian Wars Forum that this didn't actually happen.

Smile
Paul Raby

Bill Cainan 2 wrote:
Coll

Of more concern is that Paul had no knowledge of Sheldon's book when he wrote his ! You can never do too much research !

Bill

Sheldons book was of no use to me,as he deals with the making of the film,whereas I am more interested in the battle.
Paul Raby

So would I. Dr. David Payne at the AZWRS and Dr. Stuart Blank at the Military Researh Society both gave it great reviews, and the feedback I get back from my readers is fantastic.

Last edited by Paul Raby on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul Raby

The Scorer wrote:
I read this last week, having bought a copy from "Firing Line" at Cardiff Castle.

It's an interesting book, as I haven't seen the format (script with notes on the accuracy of each scene at regular intervals) used before. I think that it works, though, and it's a useful companion to Sheldon's book.

I was surprised that Sheldon's book doesn't feature in the bibliography, and I do agree that this is a concern.

Another aspect that is a disappointment is that the apparent myth of the drummer boys being killed and mutilated at Isandwhlana is repeated here. Mr Rabey also says that this resulted in future drummer boys being prevented from being on campaigns afterwards. I say "apparent" as I understand from a topic about this subject on the Victorian Wars Forum that this didn't actually happen.

Smile

Glad people are showing interest,Its good to debate. Re. Sheldon,his book is on the making of the film, whereas I feature more on the actual battle. I would love him to read my book. Dr. David Payne at the AZWRS and Dr. Blank at the Military Archive Research Society and not fogetting Dan and Beverley Allen at the Victorian Military Society,all gave it a great review, thes people are experts. To end please note it is Paul Raby and not Rabey.
Coll

Paul

I've not got your book, but the format you have used, sounds in a similar vein to the 'JFK Documented Screenplay', that I purchased, which appears to compare individual events shown in the film with facts.

Interesting concept.

Coll
Paul Raby

Hi Coll, Well you must buy one and compare, if Iv'e copied the book you purchased, I will make amends.
Coll

Paul

The documented screenplay I have was for the film 'JFK', based on the Kennedy Assassination, which compared that film with the available facts of its real events.

The idea of your book is quite similar, except obviously for 'Zulu'.

Coll
Bill Cainan 3

Hi Paul

I note that you responded to my comment above with the following:

"Sheldons book was of no use to me,as he deals with the making of the film,whereas I am more interested in the battle."

Yet, the second line of the introduction to your book clearly states: "This book is dedicated to the above film (Zulu) and gives you personal details of the characters and historical facts about the battle, quotes from the defendants and an insight into the making of the film". So perhaps Sheldon's book MIGHT have been of some use to you ? When we spoke on the telephone about the Brecon museum stocking copies of your book, you clearly indicated that you had never heard of Sheldon's book - hence my comment about research.

For those who have not had the opportunity to read your book, it might be useful if I present and overview of it. The book is based around the screenplay of "Zulu", virtually every word spoken being accurately recorded. Comments are then made at regular intervals as to the veracity of what is being portrayed/spoken in the film. Very much a "spot the error" type of approach.

This website has a number of threads where the film's errors have been highlighted, and you would have done well to have gone through the lists first as you only have a smattering of the errors included in your book. For example, you correctly note that the NCOs chevrons are sewn on the wrong arm, but you fail to mention CSgt Bourne is displaying the rank of a LSgt !!!

If, as you say, your interest is more on the battle, then your bibliography list of only seven books seems a bit light - with no primary sources quoted..

My PERSONAL View is that the book is a bit too lightweight on both the film and the battle, and for me, doesn't really do justice to the title "Zulu: The Truth behind the film". On the positive side, the cover is very eyecatching.

Bill
Zulu : The Truth Behind The Film. By Paul Raby