rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Yesterday!
Sawubona

Just finished watching the movie "Yesterday"! If you've ever been to Zululand, are going to go to Zululand or ever thought you might like to go to Zululand, then you've got to see this "sleeper" movie. It's not exactly a war flick unless you consider the struggle against the inevitable as a war and the ultimate triumph of the human spirit as a victory, but all of the dialogue is in Zulu (subtitled in English) and it's filmed on location against the backdrop of the Drakensberg in RNNP. Anyone else seen it? Watch the movie again with the commentary to get your post-graduate degree.
Tom516

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419279/

This one I take it? I hope that it will get a wider screening it does seem like a wonderful movie...

By the way my heartiest congratulations to South Africa for it's Best Foreign Language Film win "Tsotsi" at the 78th Academy Awards!!

Perhaps for an encore we can have a movie about Isandhlwana... from the Zulu point of view? Cool

Best wishes,

Sawubona

That's the one! And thanks for the IMDB tip, since I learned that it was an Oscar nominee in addition to winning several awards. Not a suprise that, but still a nice vindication of my taste! It's an unforgettable and beautifully crafted movie and if you've been lucky enough to have been there, the backdrops and people will look so hauntingly familiar. And if you've not been to Zululand yet, but are fortunate enough to ever get there, the people and the land will look equally like old friends because you've already visited with them through the media of this film!
Yesterday!