rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu by W B Bartlett
Martin Everett

Has anyone read this new offering by W B Bartlett - the full title Zulu: Queen Victoria's Most Famous Little War - published by History Press ISBN 978 0 7524 5543 3

peterw

Not read it, sorry.

Peter
AMB

Martin,

I have a copy sitting on my desk in front of me now. Sadly, on the 'to read' list (along with Wade's on spies in the Zulu War).

A quick flick through shows that the photo section is made up from pictures from the ILNs of the period. Maps are very basic and black and white only. Whole thing has the feel of a book written to a publisher's requirement; looking at the bibliography I suspect that the author didn't stray out of London, let alone traveled to Zululand.

Content purports to look at the campaign through Chelmsford's eyes. Maybe should stick to French/Laband? Indeed, the author states that he's drawn from both.

AMB
Galloglas

Was loaned one on Friday. Read half over the weekend. It's a bit ambitious in trying to cover the whole war in a fairly small book and perforce is selective in its treatment of narrative and sources.

WBB, who has also written quite a good Titanic book, is evidently not entrapped by feeling the need to follow trhe conventional story line/received wisdom throughout. Whilst that can lead to a stony path with a few turned ankles in places in others he raises some fresh and interesting perceptions of the relative significance and worth of sources. In all, but with 50% still to read, it's an interesting book so far. In not necessarily agreeing with his interpretations in places we might nevertheless consider how valid some earlier ones are.

On the down side, Adendorf generally drew better maps in the sand in the film Zulu, and some of the use of language is tortuous in places. And, it's another 'first' by footnoting Zulu Dawn as a source in one case. Still worth a look, I'd say. But, after buying Zulu Rising - a good Christmas stocking filler for this year.

G
Galloglas

Just finished this last weekend.

The book did not flourish further as much as I had hoped and drifted inexorably towards the 'blame' genre; as did the author's Titanic book.

However, keen 'blamists' on the site will probably not think the less of it for that.

Pity, earlier bits of it were both interestingly fresh and - by dint of endeavour, design or luck - unusually insightful.

There's still at least one more major Zulu War book to be written, but attempts to write about the entire war do really confront new authors with a very difficult challenge that is somewhat like trying to skateboard up Everest; or even the Warwickshire hills?

G
Denton Van Zan

Unfortunately, the 'blame game' will never go away.

I'm not so sure there will be another major book that'll say anything hugely different to what has gone before, although, much like Peter Q. and Ron L. did, more in the way of supplementary papers/thesis is more likely.

I'd purchase the latter, rather than the former, because buying a whole book for any new info, that may only be a few paragraphs or small chapter is not financially worth it.

Playing 'Hunt The New Stuff' in a future publication isn't the way to go, and more-often-than-not, it could be disappointing - especially if it entails more of the recent, apparently accepted, modern myths.

C.J.
Re: Zulu by W B Bartlett
The Scorer

Martin Everett wrote:
Has anyone read this new offering by W B Bartlett - the full title Zulu: Queen Victoria's Most Famous Little War - published by History Press ISBN 978 0 7524 5543 3

I've just ordered a copy (on loan) from Newport Library, so I'm waiting for them to tell me when it's available.

When I've read it, I'll try to remember to let you know what I think - through a "non expert's" eyes, of course!

Smile
rich

There's still at least one more major Zulu War book to be written, but attempts to write about the entire war do really confront new authors with a very difficult challenge that is somewhat like trying to skateboard up Everest; or even the Warwickshire hills?

G:

Far be it from me to say how many major AZW books can be made for the future but really only at least ONE? To tell you the truth, I'd be distraught at that seeming mathematical certainty. Tell me it isn't so.

I can understand the "narrowness" of the topic and I know this may not be palatable to some but just like Morris jump-started interest in the AZW with TWOTS perhaps new writers in the wake of Knight ( I name him because I think of all those who write on the AZW he probably is the most "public" ) can do the same thing for the AZW's future. Perhaps it's already started with Mike S, Peter and Ron's current debate?

I can certainly see the current TMFH debate as an 'academic' book so to speak and one appealing to AZW experts and to aficionados like myself who revel in this stuff. I guess there's no money in that kind of book publishing but I think it is still important to have that kind of activity since it seeks to investigate, learn and challenge existing thinking on a previous event. I'd think that all that has the possibility of opening things up for other events that can get a new look, a new interpretation. I can't be certain but I think this is all helpful in generating possible ideas that can go into that future major work (s) on this fabulously interesting war that occurred at the bottom of Africa.

And maybe if the Warwickshire Hills are too tough with a skateboard I'd suggest just to get the "hang" of all this perhaps the Brecon Beacons beckon better????? From the looks of it, I don't think there's "dead ground" up there or is my topography off???????? I am not blessed with a sense of space like Burton and Speke..... .Wink....

Well, I finished this last night, and I would say that overall, it's a pretty good book, which I enjoyed reading.

As we know, it's written from Lord Chelmsford's point of view, but it certainly isn't a totally supportive book, as Lord C comes in for quite a lot of criticism at certain times.

There's a couple of obvious mistakes - the Drummer Boy episode is rehashed, for example. A good point for me was that it gave me quite a lot of information about the rest of the war after Rorke's Drift, especially what happened at Eshowe for example, about which I knew very little.

I appreciate that someone who knows much more about the war than I do can probably find major faults, but overall I thought that it was a good book and worth reading.

Smile
Zulu by W B Bartlett