rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu Album
Coll

I recently purchased the Zulu album that isn't the same as the cd version, the latter containing other film themes.

The former album contains songs I've not heard previously, including Zulu Stamp (is this the song Stanley Baker and Lionel Blair are seen dancing to in the photograph in Sheldon's book ?), also Monkey Feathers. Confused

Anyone else got this album ?

Coll
Rob D

Yes, I bought it (vinyl!) years ago.
When I read the title - "Zulu Original Motion Picture Soundtrack & Themes" - and track list I thought it would all be from the film score including the Zulu chants but of course they're not there because John Barry didn't own their copyright.
I only played it a couple of times before I shelved it.
Rob
Alan
Site Admin

Coll,

I have a CD called 'On the road to Rorke's Drift".
Not sure where it came from but it's got 'Men of Harlech', Farmer's Boy, God Bless the Prince of Wales, as well as various pieces by the Zulu War Dancers, Rorke's Drift Community choir, Treorchy Male Voice Choir, Coldstream guards, HM Welsh Guards and others. Nothing from 'Zulu'.

Coll - some of us bought the original vinyl when it was first released - still sitting here amongst the rest of the old tat - atb Tim
Peter Ewart

Alan

OtRtRD was produced by Fugitives Drift Productions (jointly by David Rattray & Charles I think, the latter - I believe - writing the intro/blurb on the "cover", although there is no byeline). I bought the CD there in April 2000 and I'm pretty sure it was more or less "hot off the press" just then, although there is no date on my copy. (The 1999 120 year commemorations on this CD also help to date it). David Charles described some of the background behind the recordings, a few of which were apparently recorded in 1931 at a Johannesburg gold mine.

They couldn't resist playing these tracks in the 4 x 4 as the trip back across the plain from the Mangeni area was choreographed to coincide with the sun going down behind Isandlwana and the crag rapidly changing to a black silhouette.

P.
Coll

I downloaded it onto my iPad without checking the contents, instead just going by the cover illustration, thinking as others, it was solely music from 'Zulu'.

I've not listened to all the songs yet.

Coll
Coll

On a lighthearted note -

Has anyone seen or even tried the Zulu Stamp dance that Lionel Blair (?) apparently choreographed ?

I've never seen it myself, would it be on the net, YouTube or the likes ?

I'm curious to know how good/bad it is/was !

Coll
Coll

One thing I like about the album is the inclusion of Richard Burton's narration at the end of the main theme, where it is all included clearly.

Coll
Paul Bryant-Quinn

Following on from Coll's post, one of my more rueful childhood memories (I was twelve at the time) was of being on holiday with my parents at Butlins, Minehead. To my delight, I found a copy of the vinyl ZULU soundtrack in a local record shop. The problem, however, came when I took it to the Butlin's Radio Station and asked if they could play it. Imagine the surprise and consternation of several thousand holiday makers when Richard Burton was heard announcing the following over the Tannoy -

"I regret to report a very disastrous engagement which took place on the morning of the 22nd of January, between the Armies of the Zulu King Cetywayo and our own Number 3 Column, consisting of Five Companies of the 1st Battalion, 24th Regiment of Foot, and One Company of the 2nd Battalion, a total of yearly 1,500 men, officers and other ranks. The Zulus, in overwhelming numbers, launched a highly disciplined attack on the slopes of the mountain of Isandhlwana, and in spite of gallant resistance, the column was completely annihilated."

Needless to say, the Butlins DJ was not best pleased with me, and subsequently had to spend a considerable amount of time answering queries from concerned campers ...

Embarassed
rich

You know I'd be curious to know if the original vinyl of the Zulu soundtrack is the same as the cd that I have that I bought ages ago (Silva Screen edition). It has the soundtrack plus a whole bunch of fantastic John Barry songs and instrumentals.

Through the years I've cherished that cd and guard it since I think the original is probably out of print. Not only do we get Barry's incomparable Zulu theme but some of his other fine compositions and one of them is his beautiful "London Theme".

And you know if you listen to that you go back to the time Zulu came out and when the "Brit music invasion" was on here. Chad & Jeremy are even on the record with "No Tears for Johnny"..circa early 60's..

Yes I bought the ZULU vinyl soundtrack in about 1972 in a record shop
called 'Opus' in Chingford North London. I cherished it through the years and seem to think my version (Which I still have) is in pseudo stereo on the Ember label. I seem to believe side 2, the Zulu 'riffs' were actual Zulu war songs that Barry made into instrumentals, as he did the main theme..'Monkey Feathers' which in turn is the main theme for the movie.
I gather that Lional Blair made some hokey dance for the premier....from the 'Monkey Feathers' riff only.....On my interviews with various cast and crew over the years, no one can remember how the actual dance went (Cha Cha or Quickstep variations perhaps?) The 'Monkey Feathers' theme became a 45rpm, and was on sale around the time of the premier in a picture sleeve, with the Zulu logo on the back along with the cast names.
Coll

Apparently there is an illustrated chart showing and explaining the Zulu Stamp dance moves.

Coll
leightarrant

Yes there is, recently seen on display at the BFI in London, in a glass cabinet under lock and key (Around the time Zulu was shown last November) Henry Coleman at zulufilmstore I think may have a copy.
Coll

Leigh

Maybe a few brave souls could put on a dancing display of the Zulu Stamp at the next Zulu Exhibition, with Lionel Blair making a guest appearance, seeing-as-to-how it did stem from the film ! Idea

Coll

P.S. If anything it'd make for a lighthearted moment.
rich

And Leigh hold onto that record. They don't make things like they do nowadays!