rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
e-books
Alan
Site Admin

There are many books now available on Kindle. Some can be found at Amazon:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=Zulu&x=0&y=0#/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=n%3A341677031%2Ck%3AZulu&keywords=Zulu&i.e.=UTF8&qid=1342511499

I've yet to be dragged into the 21st. century.

Me too..I've not been "Nookie-ized" nor "Kindle-ized"...

I've a Kindle and I highly recommend it, as the choice of books is endless, though I haven't yet downloaded any Zulu War titles, too many others unread at the moment.

I'm always hoping that audio books for the Anglo-Zulu War 1879 catches on, covering new as well as older titles, as I'm not always able to concentrate long enough to read, whereas listening to them on my cd player would be most helpful and an absolute bonus.

Coll
Keith Smith

There are a number of very useful old books that can be downloaded free from the internet and which offer a choice of reading device, including Kindle or even pdf format for use on a PC. I have downloaded a considerable number, which have aided my research greatly. Try http://archive.org/details/texts. Here are a few of them:

Cannon, R. (comp.) Records of the Seventy-Third Regiment, London: Parker, Furnivall & Parker, 1851.
Cope, Sir William H., History of the Rifle Brigade, London: Chatto & Windus, 1877.
Delavoye, Alex M., Records of the 90th Regiment, The Kaffir War 1877-78, London: Richardson, 1880.
Dugmore, Rev. H.H., The Reminiscences of an Albany Settler: A Lecture delivered to Graham�s Town at the British Settler�s Jubilee, Graham�s Town: Richards, Glanville & Co., 1871.
Goff, G.L.J., Historical Records of the 91st Argyllshire Highlanders, London: Richard Bentley, 1891.
Groves, J. Percy, The War of the Axe: Adventures in South Africa, London: Blackie and Son, 1904.
Hook, D.B., With Sword and Statute: On the Cape of Good Hope Frontier, J.C. Juta: Cape Town, 1905.
Levinge, Sir Richard George Augustus, Historical Records of the Forty-Third Regiment, Monmouthshire Light Infantry, London, Clowes & Sons, 1868.
Martineau, John, Life and Correspondence of Sir Bartle Frere, 2 volumes, London: John Murray, 1895.
Moore-Smith, G.C. (ed.), The Autobiography of Lieut.-General Sir Harry Smith, in two volumes, London: John Murray, 1902.
Paton, G., Glennie, F., Penn Symons, W., Historical Records of the 24th Regiment from its formation in 1689, London: Simkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent & Co.,1892.
Pritchard, Helen M., Friends and Foes in the Transkei: An Englishwoman's Experiences during the Cape Frontier War of 1877-8, London: Sampson Low, Marston, Searle & Rivington, 1880.
Shipp, John, Memoirs of the Extraordinary Military Career of John Shipp, Late a Lieutenant in Her Majesty�s 87th Regiment, London: Fisher Unwin, 1890.
Theal, George McCall, Chronicles of Cape Commanders � from 1651- 1691, Cape Town: W.A. Richards & Sons, 1882.
Theal, George McCall, History of South Africa under the Administration of the Dutch East India Company 1652-1795, 2 volumes, London, Swan Sonnenschein, 1897.
Theal, George McCall, History of South Africa from 1873 to 1884: Twelve Eventful Years, 2 volumes, London: George Allen & Unwin, 1919.
Theal, George McCall, Records of the Cape Colony, Copied for the Cape Government from the Manuscript Documents in the Public Record Office, London, 36 volumes, Cape Town: Gov�t of the Cape Colony, 1897-1905.

KIS
rich

Keith:

That's good to know. I just wasn't aware that all of that 'free" stuff was available. Thanks for posting that information. I probably will reconsider now!