rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Farrier Sergeant Robert Whinham, N Battery, 5th Brigade R.A.
John Young

As some of you may be aware one of my main interests is researching the casualties of the Anglo-Zulu War, and to able to see how they looked in life helps me to reflect on their fate even more.

Imagine my surprise when on a forum that I contribute to there appeared a photograph of of Farrier-Sergeant 841 Robert Whinham, of N Battery, 5th Brigade, Royal Artillery who was killed in action at the Battle of Isandlwana.

The photograph was posted by a direct descendant of Farrier-Sergeant Whinham, and with their kind permission I reproduce here together with his memorial card.

Farrier-Sergeant Robert Whinham, N/5 R.A.

It should be noted that the age on this card is incorrect

Both the above items are still held by the family, and appear only with their permission.

Now when I visit Isandlwana in the New Year and look at his name on the R.A. Memorial I can at least put a face to it.

John Y.
peterw

John

Thanks for posting - great to see new pictures emerging.

Peter
Alan
Site Admin

(Image supplied by Martin Everett. Farrier-Sergeant Whinham second down on the left.)

John

Many thanks for posting this, and also to the family for granting permission. Presumably a little cdv and not a cabinet? The memorial card is also a very interestig survival.

Alan

A very recent memorial isn't it? Where did they place it - out where the guns started or nearer where they were finished off?

P.
Alan
Site Admin

Isn't that the one that's been there for a while east of Isandlwana or a new one? Martin? I notice that Google Earth is a lot clearer there now.

Martin tells me that the RA Memorial is positioned about 500 metres east of the (modern day)
entrance to the battlefield where 2 7-pounder guns were sited at about 12.30pm on
22 January 1879. He supplied a picture from 2004 so this isn't a (very) recent memorial.

Alan,

The Royal Artillery Memorial was unveiled on 22nd January 1999, by His Majesty King Goodwill & the then Master-Gunner of St. James's - Field Marshal Lord Vincent.

I believe it was the last memorial to be placed on the battlefield.

John Y.
Peter Ewart

Thanks Alan & John

So it's out on the front line where the RA started. Don't recall seeing it in 2000 and certainly didn't take a snap of it. The near edge has a slightly unfinished air about it, as if it should have had some sort of kerb attached, so that it looks as if has just been laid down on the ground - which I suppose it has, really! Is the far end raised off the ground a bit, producing a partly elevated slab? Very nice design & well engraved by the look of it.

Let's hope it's the last addition, though:

But one monument alike is shared by all. Towering above the sad and fatal field, the lion-shaped Isandhlwana rears its rugged crest to the sky; and, looking on that stern defiant frontlet keeping its silent watch for ever over our fallen countrymen, I could not but realise how grand a monumental stone Nature had provided, as though to shame the puny efforts of Art. (Mitford 1883)

P.
Alan
Site Admin

I dug out my pic from 2002. It's weathered well.
2002! Where does the time go?