rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Rich

a-ha!....I'm vindicated..very good.....and I bet you also have the original of "L'Arrive d'un Train en Gare de la Acitot" by the Lumiere Bros...eh?.. Cool ..fingers crossed

www.cinemamuseum.org.uk......I'm figuring you went here for research too...
Haydn Jones

I'm currently reading T.V. Bulpin's "The White Whirlwind" and in the Chapter about a Swazi Incwala festival in the late 1880s, Bulpin describes how, on the fourth day, the Swazi King, Mbandine, gathered his warriors together and ".......suddenly threw the pumpkin. The man it hit had to run for his life. He was the national scapegoat. The old custom was that if he was still to be found in the country by the next dawn, he would be killed. He had to run all night to reach the safety of the border. After twelve months he could return when a new scapegoat had been chosen."

This account seemed to chime with the gist of this thread so I thought would post it here as a point of interest if nothing else.

H
Sheldon Hall

Rich. I didn't actually visit Ronald Grant's Cinema Museum or use their picture archive (way too expensive!) - other private collections and library archives were used for the book instead. I think I got the LD on eBay...
leightarrant

Sheldon - Whilst you're on, change of subject rather, did you see that at the Bradford film festival this year they are screening a restored print of a Mcqueen favourite 'THE SAND PEBBLES'..........Any other delights that you've heard of or can recommend.....the website hasn't posted its screenings yet. Hey, Maybe PREY may get a look in?? Was this shot in Todd AO I wonder??
Sheldon Hall

Leigh, yes I've seen the draft Widescreen Weekend festival programme. As well as the complete, restored THE SAND PEBBLES there are 70mm prints of 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, the Julie Andrews musical STAR!, sci-fi thriller BRAINSTORM, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS and Kenneth Branagh's HAMLET; digital prints of THE GREAT ESCAPE and BLADE RUNNER: THE ULTIMATE CUT; a restored 35mm print of Michael Powell's HONEYMOON; three-strip Cinerama prints of THIS IS CINERAMA and WINDJAMMER; and an assortment of special events and talks, including on on-stage interview with Branagh and a making-of documentary about HOW THE WEST WAS WON. The weekend runs from Friday 7 March to Monday 10 March. A season ticket to the whole four-day weekend costs �70 (�45 concs).

THE NAKED PREY was shot in 35mm anamorphic Panavision. There's a nice print of it in the BFI Archive, albeit slightly censored (as noted on an earlier posting).
Sheldon Hall

Further to THE NAKED PREY, there's a short review article about the film and the Criterion DVD in the new issue of SIGHT & SOUND, out this week.
Keith Smith

The ant movie with Charlton Heston was (very loosely) based on a short story called Leiningen versus the Ants by Carl Stephenson and published in the December 1938 edition of Esquire Magazine. You can find the full text at http://www.classicshorts.com/stories/lvta.html

KIS
peterw

The Naked Prey is winging its way to me from the States.

Peter
Sheldon Hall

Blimey! It's only taken you four years to order! Hope it's worth the wait...
peterw

I'd watched most of it on YouTube in the meantime so thought I didn't need it. I will probably get No Blade of Grass and Dark of the Sun too.
Sheldon Hall

I must admit I've never seen NO BLADE OF GRASS.
peterw

"The Naked Prey" lived up to expectations. The film locations were stunning as was the wildlife photography. I think the closest I ever got to having a physique like Cornel Wilde was playing with Action Man......
Grandier?