rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Bill Cainan 3

All

Re "The Making of Zulu" and an AZW weekend in Brecon - see separate thread.

Bill
Alan
Site Admin

Sawubona wrote:

I might go with the Four Feathers, but I confuse it a bit with "Fire Over the Sudan". Which was the better of the two?

Do you mean Storm Over the Nile?

Indeed I do, Alan. I gather then that Rudolph Slatin didn't write the screenplay? NB: Obscure reference to Slatin Pasha's autobiography "Fire and Sword in the Sudan" which is perhaps what I was confusing it with.

Having ended the previous sentence with a preposition, I'm reminded of Churchill's (probably apocryphal) statement that "that's just the sort of English up with which I will not put!"
shearer

What about Carry On Cleo, a Bridge Too Far and the Blue Lamp.
Robin

Reach for the Sky
Battle of the River Plate
peterw

Another one from me:
The Constant Gardener

Peter
Mel

it's very interesting to see how choices can vary.

Must admit that I would only have picked sixteen from the list by Barry but a further six from members later suggestions.

For instance, a few weeks ago I watched a film that had had good reviews but I found it to be three hours of tedium and boredom.

Question:
Just what is it that makes a film "good"?

Are you after Sheldon's job Mel?

For me it's the acting performances, plot (innovation, drama, twists and turns) and location.

Peter
rich

Question:

hmmm..that's what gets me about critics. They have "taste" but I think no more or less than anybody around here. A film is good I think because the viewer thinks it's good. Now he didn't include two of my favorites 'Dr Zhivago' and 'A Man for All Seasons'. I was surprised though I understand he's looking at films from his point of view and his likes and dislikes.

Rich
I totally agree. You either like the film or you don't. Simple as that. We all have different tastes.

Peterw
I would also add music.

Rich

I think Dr Zhivago was considered an American film. I was surprised at its omission so looked at its background a bit more. One of those hybrids which was more American than British apparently.

P.
Rob D

I waited... and waited... but no-one else suggested it, so I guess it's up to me.
Performance
James Fox as the gangster Chas is at least as good as Michael Caine in Get Carter or Bob Hoskins in The Long Good Friday, so if those two are on the list (and nobody here has objected to either of them) the film deserves consideration on those grounds alone - and then there's everything else (cinematography, editing, music etc.)
Rob
Sawubona

What makes a film good for me, Mel? It's that certain something ("Taht ceartin sumpthin" with a heavy scots accent ALA Monty Python) that makes me need to add the DVD to my collection. The sort of movie that ends with me saying "Huh, that was good!"

Is "Shake Hands with the Devil" considered "British"? It's Canadian, after all, and that's pretty much the same thing to us Yanks. How about "The Tracker"? That's British/Australian" and an obscure movie that I give two thumbs up.
Dave Colbourne

I think the list should have included 'Chimes at Midnight', I recently watched this again after many years. Wonderful film, great performances from the whole cast, especially Orson Welles as Falstaff. Great battle scenes too. If you haven't seen it, give it a try. Apparently Welles considered it the film he would most like to be remembered by.
Sawubona

Battle of the River Plate is good, Robin, but isn't it "Sink the Bismarck Lite"? And what about "Sink the Bismarck" added to the list? OK, the special effects are dated by the standards of 21st century CGI, but it's still a most excellent flick and better then many of those listed (IMHO). And speaking of ship movies, did I miss "A Night to Remember" somewhere in our listings?
50 Greatest British Films