rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Zulu Dawn Blu Ray
Wobblefilms

According to this web site ZD will be available in the USA as a 2 disc Blu-ray version from 8th January.

Will be interesting to see what content is included

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Zulu-Dawn-Blu-ray/39000/
Coll

Colin

That's fantastic news !

I see it is being released as a dual format edition, which could mean that one disc is for standard dvd players, the other for blu-ray players, as that is the way I got 'Immortals', as a set.

Zulu Dawn appears to finally be winning people over, as it is termed a cult film now, that even Quentin Tarantino is a fan.

Coll
Wobblefilms

The website has this list of extras

The History Of The Zulu Wars - Exclusive New Featurette With Zulu Rising Author Ian Knight And Midge Carter

Recreating The War - Exclusive New Interview With Historical Advisor Midge Carter

Theatrical Trailer

I believe (from IMBD) that Midge Carter was the historical Advisor for the movie.

Also the following info on the Blu ray from the website

"13,000 actual Zulus co-star in this acclaimed prequel to the classic ZULU, now packed with exclusive Bonus Features, fully restored to its correct aspect ratio, and re-mastered in stunning HD for the first time ever in America."
Alan
Site Admin

I believe Midge Carter lives in Australia.

Colin

I must admit, I didn't think this'd happen for Zulu Dawn, as it was always about Zulu.

It is really good news for fans of the prequel.

Hope it is sold on amazon UK, as I've never bought anything directly from the US.

Fortunately, my blu-ray player can play All Regions dvds.

Thanks for letting us know.

Coll

PS. I'll be buying two copies. Very Happy
Peter Ewart

Coll

Someone suddenly referring to it (or claiming it) as a "cult" (horrible expression!) film won't improve it as a film though, will it? And despite being a box office flop and being panned ever since by anyone with a modicum of knowledge of the AZW, the Zulu people or Isandlwana, it is somehow now exciting that "even Quentin Tarantino is a fan"? Even him? Was he, for some reason, not expected to be? Is this chap's "fanhood" desirable in some way - for the reputation of the film or for some other reason perhaps? Or is his opinion on the film somehow worth more than yours?

Sorry, Coll, modern gadgetry can't rescue this one! Not in a million years. It's a kid's adventure film - leave it for the kids. Morris writes TWOTS with largely fictional chapter on Isandlwana - Endfield writes lightweight novel based on TWOTS - film gets made based on novel - colourful adjectives (to put it mildly) are required to flog both novel & film. Discerning reader/filmgoer raises eyebrows & reserves judgement. Remainder hoodwinked & wallow in tripe. Film thereafter competes with Davey Crockett and Lassie Come Home for adulation of younger generation but loses ignominiously on grounds of lack of acceptable credibility, even for Saturday morning flicks audiences.

But it's only a film, I suppose. So no real harm done. How's that reading going, by the way?

P.

Last edited by Peter Ewart on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Coll

Peter

You'll never be won over by Zulu Dawn then ?

I'm a kid at heart - but seriously, Zulu Dawn being updated and shown as it was meant to be, is a good thing.

Firstly, it corrects the flaws (filming not historic).

Secondly, it keeps the film from being forgotten, whilst Zulu is constantly messed-about with - a 3D version of the latter next ?

Funny though, how Zulu is termed the classic, based on the defence of Rorke's Drift, whilst Zulu Dawn is unappreciated by many, to the point of wanting it to be forgotten, the latter film based on the battle at Isandlwana.

A Rorke's Drift film remembered and praised, whilst an Isandlwana film almost forgotten and criticised - not for me to make any historical comparisons though. Rolling Eyes

My reading ? - okay. I can only read what I have and any others I can afford.

You got a lending facility in your own personal library ? Wink

Coll
Rob D

Coll
While I'm happy to see that a version of Zulu Dawn in the correct aspect ratio and with improved visual definition may soon be available worldwide I have several reservations about the film.

As a "historical" resource it is almost worthless.

Burt Lancaster is woefully miscast and/or poorly directed as Durnford - he comes across as more of a Hamilton-Brown-type colonial adventurer than a professional RE officer (in fact he and Nigel Davenport seem to be playing two versions of the same character!)

Even regarded purely as an entertainment, it has several serious flaws:
- The film lacks focus - there are too many characters to follow on both sides of the conflict.
- The early scene in Cetshwayo's kraal is a poor imitation of the vastly more impressive scene in Zulu.
- The big set-piece battle sequence is very disappointing - rather than the epic conflict that the filmmakers intended, the overwhelming impression I take away from every viewing is of small groups of people running around lost and confused in a vast landscape.
- The film just never works for me once the battle starts - and the choice of music at that point doesn't help.

In fact, Zulu works much better in every way, and is justly regarded as the better film - although it's not much better as history.
Rob
Coll

Rob

Absolutely.

What I was really trying to say is, I'm very pleased to see Zulu Dawn getting improved quality-wise, as well as presented more appealingly in an entertainment package, in an updated dvd set.

However, Zulu is/was a classic, but with the continual release of more versions, is becoming an irritation. In my opinion, things can be over-corrected/improved, and with Sheldon's book too, enough is enough.

Now that Zulu Dawn seems to have been brought up to date, it is time to leave both films alone, by doing nothing else, whether 3D, etc.

2013 appears to be the year we get Zulu Dawn as it was meant to be seen, plus the publication of the Zulu script.

That is more than enough now.

Coll

PS. I wish they would erase the fly that lands on Burt's hat though.
Alan
Site Admin

Why would they publish the 'Zulu' script? Don't we all know it already?

Alan

I got the impression it would be the full script, including any scenes that were deleted or weren't in the film to begin with.

I don't know if there'll be illustrations too, but we probably have seen most, if not all, anyway, including behind-the-scenes.

Hopefully, we'll get an update from Leigh or Henry(?)

Coll
rich

But it's only a film, I suppose. So no real harm done.

For sure but I'd like to note something. Lately I've been appreciating the work of Mr. O'Toole in film. Hands down that fellow is one of the greatest actors ever. I don't think I need to go into his great films. Most of you know them already. What I'm suggesting is that when I watch Zulu Dawn or Zulu I know the history as such and I know all of the "inside stuff". What I've found is that I enjoy how personalities such as O'Toole portray their characters. Now that I think is very interesting work. The Zulu films I've found are probably are the best way to get an idea of AZW characters and their behavior and motivations for what they did. Of course they are not exact as a math formula but nevertheless in the case of O'Toole he gives me an idea of what floated around in Chelmsford's head. You get a start from his presentation of the character. From there it's up to me to make sense of it all and to ask myself the question, "So who was Lord Chelmsford? Who is that fellow and what made him tick?" I have to hand it to O'Toole he's caused me to spend so much money finding the answer that and other questions that I really think I should send him the bill before he takes that motorcycle to the sky..... Wink

It seems the release of Zulu Dawn on Blu-ray might not be until February.

Coll
peterw

I've just been sent this:

One Of The Most Intense Battle Classics Of Our Time, Now Re-mastered In HD!

LOS ANGELES, CA, February 25th, 2013 � Severin Films have announced the March 12th Blu-ray + DVD combo release of the ZULU DAWN, the epic 70s prequel to the classic ZULU, fully restored in hi-definition and packed with exclusive new Bonus Features.

Burt Lancaster, Peter O�Toole, Simon Ward, Bob Hoskins and Sir John Mills lead an all-star cast in the shocking true story of The Battle of Isandlwana: In January 1879, arrogant officials of the British colony of Natal, Africa issued a list of unauthorized ultimatums to the Zulu Nation. When the Zulu King refused their demands, the Empire declared war. And in a series of grave tactical blunders, a garrison of 1,500 British soldiers faced an army of 25,000 enraged Zulu warriors in what would become the most horrifying disaster in British military history. Nigel Davenport (CHARIOTS OF FIRE), Denholm Elliott (RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK), Phil Daniels (QUADROPHENIA) and 13,000 actual Zulus co-star in this acclaimed prequel to ZULU, fully restored to its correct aspect ratio, and re-mastered in stunning HD for the first time ever in America. Extras include exclusive new featurettes with Zulu Rising author Ian Knight, the film�s historial advisor Midge Carter, a visit to the actual locations of the battle of Isandlwana hosted by Knight, and a selection of rare out-takes.

Apparently region free and available through Amazon. I don't have Blu-ray so no good to me!

Peter
Peter Ewart

Which is the more ridiculous? This utterly hilarious hype (or tripe) or the film itself? In the light of this garbage, if I were answering my own question I might even find myself defending the film - which would be a first ...

P.
Zulu Dawn Blu Ray