rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Danger Will Robinson! (Potentially at least.)
Michael Boyle

It would seem that nearly half of the new members so far this month are 'spam-bots'. They pose no particular danger and Peter and the good people at Beaver Design seem to have found a way to keep them out of the discussion forums however I would urge all of us real people not to be tempted into clicking the web sites listed on the 'spam-bot's' profile page.

Having said that, I have. As I'm currently working from a high security intra-net that is virtually bullet-proof (except for extremely cognizant targeted attacks) I tested the links and the URLs listed are fairly innocuous gambling, insurance, med, etc. sites that pose no immediate threat (which is not to say that, in future, this will continue to be the case!). However, if they keep getting 'hits' they'll never go away so when in doubt as to the legitimacy of a web site simply pause your mouse cursor over the "www" in the right hand column and look at the bottom bar of your browser to see the name of the site and judge for yourself.

Again, there is no immediate threat here but new stuff comes along daily and it is possible that malicious sites could be linked in this manner.

Best

Michael
Johnny_H

lol do I count as a "Spam Bot?"

And if so, does that make me some sort of "Artificial life form, Living tissue over metal endo-skeleton"

Laughing sorry I could not help myself, forgive my idiocy.

Michael Boyle

No Johhny it's like insanity -if you think you are then you're not! Perhaps I should be a wee bit more specific.

A 'spam-bot' is a small piece of computer code that is sent out over the web in search of sites that it can attach itself to. Some of you may remember a couple of instances of seemingly random phrases being posted to some topics and included a link to a gambling site. The mini-program that accomplishes this simply 'learns' how to register and in many cases post spam (adverts). It registers with random name and letter combinations and even random 'home' locations.These bots are not in themselves malicious (nor or they human unless there are people out there with WAY too much time on their hands!). I'm just giving a heads-up to be careful with the websites that these bots include under their profile.

[Gee Johnny if I'm wrong about you then my compliments to your programmer!]

[In the time it's taken me to reply here another one has shown up!]

Best

Michael
Alekudemus

Cheers Michael. I must admit I fell for it. I often check out the websites in a members profile in the hope of finding an interesting AZW site someone has. I thought the forums were being invaded by card sharks when Ichecked the websites !
Alan
Site Admin

Dear All,
I've taken upon myself to delete all suspect members. If I've inadvertently deleted a genuine, please contact me.

Further to Alan's message, we'll keep a check on this. It's worth pointing out that the majority of the "bots" don't get to post messages (in fact, i can't recall one yet?), as they have to click on a link in an email and authorise themselves. No doubt, in time, they will get clever and work around this, but currently this security feature is preventing them from running amok on the forum.

Thanks for your vigilence Michael, it's much appreciated Smile

Peter
Michael Boyle

Peter,

Barbarians at the Gate! Looks like they're finding their way into the forums. Run a google search on sherlockrecords and read countless verbatim postings (with the same nursing agency advert byline). 9400 at latest count.

[Who the heck wants to start their own nursing agency anyway. Can't imagine a very large market there!]

A quick fix would be to reposition the new topic and submit buttons but it would only be temporary.

Gotta love the new millenium! [Bots are getiing smarter.]

Best

Michael
pdg777

Calm Down Mate!

Remember that Sword, Juno and Gold were a "cakewalk". Omaha and Utah were the "killing fields". Be that as it may...let us go back in time to Isla....and Rorke's Drift. Valiant as they were...let us go back in time 16 years, to the Battle of Gettysburg. As the morning mists arose over those fields and hills...the "scent" of Death" was in the air. The 1st Minnesota Regiment of 262 volunteers lay in Reserve. The Confederate General Longstreet's 3rd Corps had broken through the Union Left Flank...after the Peach Orchard and the Wheatfield..The Union 78th Pennsylvania Regiment
attempted a stand...but were decimated by the concentrated fire of several Rebel Batteries firing double grape-shot and double canister fire. Union General Hancock then rode down the line and shouted..."What Regiment is this!" "FIRST MINNESOTA" replied Colonel Colvill. "Charge those lines! Every man knew in an instant what that command entailed. Death and destruction. Still. not a man wavered...Five minutes time to save the Flank. Onward they charged...soon double-time changed to "utmost speed' For only in utmost speed lay their only hope of salvation. The Rebels fired again and again...Fathers trod over their Sons...Sons trod over their Fathers...until they reached the "Picket Fence"...the first line stood fast and fired a full volley directly into the Rebel line...they stood down to reload and the second line advanced and fired a full volley...the Rebel advance was broken. Of the 262 men of the First Minnesota...only 47 men mustered at roll-call on 3 July 1863.
Mikey29211

Run away!! Those people can infultrate thru my personal spam blocker and when i reply "DROP DEAD" or other remarks, my email gets sent back to me..
AAARGH!! Evil or Very Mad
Danger Will Robinson! (Potentially at least.)