rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Death on a Pale Horse - Sherlock Holmes investigates...
John Young

Snow - the curse of a British Spring day put pay to my plans to drive to the RLC Museum, what to do instead I pondered: watch a Blu-ray; read a book or trawl the internet. I opted for the latter and came across Death on a Pale Horse - Sherlock Holmes on Her Majesty's Secret Service by Donald Thomas.

The cover caught my eye the well-known illustration of the Prince Imperial of France from The Illustrated London News special edition. From what I can gather from the blurb relating to the book Holmes is tasked with investigating not only the death of Prince Imperial, but also that of Jahleel Carey. An intrigue worthy of Conan Doyle himself, who I am convinced owned a copy of MacKinnon & Shadbolt, but that's another story.

There is an e-book preview of the first chapter which sets the scene for the Battle of Isandlwana. The chapter is riddled with errors of fact but this is a work of fiction, and maybe in time I'll forgive the author for all the Welshmen and the Gatling Guns and might well invest in a copy.

Has anyone read it?

John Y.
Peter Ewart

John

Seen a synopsis or two, one briefish review and a paragraph or two on google books. I'm among those who find it very difficult - for better or worse - to understand the whole point behind deliberately mixing fact with fiction. Where does one stop and the other start? I see Carey was part of the Prince's "bodyguard." Interesting. He'd have needed the entire Household Cavalry to ensure he survived that campaign and would probably have managed still to get himself killed.

Not for me.

Peter

P.S. Thought we'd escaped all this snow until this morning!
Coll

Maybe Dr Watson assists Holmes in a summary of the battle at Isandlwana, considering the former is supposed to have survived the similar battle at Maiwand a year later.

Military stuff is mostly Watson's strongpoint, if I remember correctly.

Coll
Martin Everett

Peter

This seems to be the start of a quiz - I had a Doctor friend (not Watson) who was fascinated by military mounts...............

Percy, Copenhagen, Morengo and the more difficult one the bravest of them all a chestnut called Ronald.

John Young

Martin,

Ronald didn't wear a pullover did he, he wore (or should that be bore) a ...

John Y.
Death on a Pale Horse - Sherlock Holmes investigates...