Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Battle Story: Isandlwana, 1879
AMB

Another title for your Christmas wish list:

By Ed Yorke

Hardcover: 160 pages
Publisher: The History Press Ltd (1 Sep 2011)
Language English
ISBN-10: 0752462016
ISBN-13: 978-0752462011

Discription on Amazon:

On 22 January 1879 a 20,000-strong Zulu army attacked 1,700 British and colonial forces. This engagement at Isandlwana remains one of the most overwhelming defeats in British military history. To understand what happened and why - read Battle Story. Key profiles explore why the British imperial army, superior in equipment, were defeated by the poorly equipped Zulu troops A wealth of rare accounts and quotes reveal the true tragedy of the battlefield Illustrations detail the equipment of both sides, the terrain and the men who fought against each other Orders of Battle detail the composition of the opposing forces' armies Packed with fact boxes, this short introduction is the perfect way to start exploring this legendary battle
About the Author
EDMUND YORKE is Senior Lecturer in Defence Studies at the Royal Military Academy at Sandhurst and has written and researched extensively on the Zulu War. He was the historical consultant for the History Channel/Discovery Channel television documentary on Rorke's Drift. He has written also Zulu! The Battle for Rorke's Drift (The History Press) and is writing the forthcoming Battle Story: Rorke's Drift.

I know Ed Yorke quite well, so have to show an open hand here! I first met him when he was one of my lecturers at RMAS as an OCdt; we used to often chat in the Mess when I returned as DS some years later. The AZW is but one aspect of Ed's fascination with African military history. His PhD (from Cambridge) was about the Germans in EA during WWI.

AMB
Coll

AMB

I purchased this little book, as anything to do with Isandlwana catches my attention. I found it a bit disappointing, though maybe it is more suited to a beginner learning about the battle as a first book.

Coll
AMB

Coll,

I would concur. This is a book that is suited to the beginner far more than one of seasoned learning on the subject.

AMB
Coll

It appears Yorke has published a similar book on Maiwand, available this month.

Wont be getting it though.

Coll