rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Bill Cainan 3

Hi Mark

Models on show:
In our AZW room, we still have the model of RD by a certain (very young) Ian Knight. We also have the brilliant Sanderson model of a section of the Isandlwana battlefield - Alan produced a couple of pics of it above . You're right, the big model of RD is the one I did many years ago, but totally remodelled earlier this year. I spent many a long night in January repainting the shields on some 400 model Zulus after their last outing at "Colours" about a 18 months ago when they represented some of the Regiments at Isandlwana. We also have a model of the pont at RD - being a Sapper I spent many exciting hours explaining to visitors the difference between a pont and a pontoon !!! There is the model of the last survivor in the cave; a model of Isablwana mountain; and a small model of the Zulu battle formation. I wish I had the space to put more in, but ...... !

Hope to see you soon in Brecon.

All the best

Bill
The Lt.

Bill Cainan 2 wrote:
Hi Mark

Models on show:
In our AZW room, we still have the model of RD by a certain (very young) Ian Knight. We also have the brilliant Sanderson model of a section of the Isandlwana battlefield - Alan produced a couple of pics of it above . You're right, the big model of RD is the one I did many years ago, but totally remodelled earlier this year. I spent many a long night in January repainting the shields on some 400 model Zulus after their last outing at "Colours" about a 18 months ago when they represented some of the Regiments at Isandlwana. We also have a model of the pont at RD - being a Sapper I spent many exciting hours explaining to visitors the difference between a pont and a pontoon !!! There is the model of the last survivor in the cave; a model of Isablwana mountain; and a small model of the Zulu battle formation. I wish I had the space to put more in, but ...... !

Hope to see you soon in Brecon.

All the best

Bill

Thank you Bill for responding to my request for photos of the Rorke's Drift Diorama which you beautifully created with so much realism in miniature. Your buildings along with the wagons, biscuit box wall, mealie bags redoubt are so nicely done and staged and the outstanding job with the painting selection and placement of the figures are a site to behold. It shows it was a labor of love in creating it.

Knowing you've got many tasks at the museum to keep you busy when you can spare more than a few minutes which I know it will take would you kindly take additonal pictures of Cliff Sanderson's and a few more close up of IAN's. I do wish I could join you at Brecon it would be something I would cherish to spend the time visiting. Once again Bill thank you for the photos and sharing them...........Joe The Lt.
Regimental Museum, Brecon