rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
'A Run In Zululand!'
Harry Faversham

Does anyone remember this game that did the wargame shows some years back? It was loosely based on the death of the Prince Imperial, and entailed his patrol getting ambushed. They had to mount their horses and make a run for the opposite table edge as the Zulus closed from all sides!
It was a top notch participation game and, if memory serves, won 'best of show' at Sheffield Triples.

Nobody remember it? There was another game set at Rorke's Drift with hundreds of Zulus attacking the beleaguered 24th. It was more a homage to the film than an accurate take on events... complete with cattle stampede!
I think I've still got the rules for both games kicking about somewhere, which I'm happy to scan if anyone's interested?
Smile

Harry

I've not seen either of the games you mention, but I did purchase a 1960s Little Bighorn game by Waddingtons, which was supplied with very basic rules, but easy to play.

It involved the last stand and the game's aim was for one of the 7th Cavalry troopers to get the guidon off a specific part of the board, with the help of his fellow troopers, fighting and trying not to get killed by the surrounding indians on the way. (sort of reminding me of Melvill trying to save the Colour at Isandlwana)

Interesting little game, but not sure if it was popular.

A really interesting concept for another older game, though set in medieval times, was the use of chess-type moves called -'Feudal'. I've always liked the idea of mixing a Zulu wargame with chess and this ticks both boxes.

This latter method of gaming would be more suited to the last stages of Isandlwana, or the close-combat fighting at Rorke's Drift. I'm just trying to work out some rules based on this idea. Confused

Coll
Bill Cainan 3

Harry

I do remember a game at Colours (Reading) quite a few years ago. It was a 54mm game based on the Fugitives Drift Trail. The fugitives had to get to the river to be safe (!!!!).

If you do find the rules for both the games you mention, I would indeed be interested. You can PM them to me.

Many thanks

Bill Cainan
"Death in the Donga"
sjwalker51

A stranger in the mess, reviving this old thread - the game you remember was put on by the Staines Wargames Club at several shows and was covered (IIRC) in an issue of 'Wargames World'

It was a great participation game with some very innovative mechanisms.
'A Run In Zululand!'