rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Surgical Experiences in the Zulu and Transvaal Wars
AMB

All,

My copy has just arrived of Blair Brown's 1883 work 'Surgical Experiences in the Zulu and Transvaal Wars, 1879 and 1881' published by Kessinger Publishing in the USA.

A well printed hardback copy of the 1st edn that is evidently in the Bodleian Library in Oxford.

It is great to see such a rare book now available.

AMB
Keith Smith

Just a note to bibliophiles in impecunious circumstances. Blair Brown's little work is available for free download from archive.org.

KIS
peterw

Just a note to bibliophiles in impecunious circumstances

Or even those who have run out of bookshelves and dare not attempt to sneak another volume into the house.

Thanks both for the tips.

Peter
Keith Smith

Peterw

'Ware the dragon's daughter eh?

KIS
Peter Ewart

Andrew & Keith

Thanks for that. I see on Amazon John Young gave a poor review on the grounds of the very poor physical reproduction. The publishers were unhelpful but I see on Amazon that two publishers have been involved in reprints of this work - Kessinger & Forgotten Books. I have examples of Kessinger's work and they're usually acceptable (the pages & soft cover very often enlarged in size even if the book itself was much smaller, leaving very wide margins but that's OK with me if that's all there is).

JY doesn't say which publisher was involved. Which one was involved in your copy, Andrew, please, and is the reproduction any good? Does it contain page 88, elusive in all the copies JY tried?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Peter W: It's OK to run out of shelves but you haven't run out of actual space until the floors are covered in every room. Stick shelves in every room - saves decorating!

Peter
Peter Ewart

Andrew & Keith

Thanks for that. I see on Amazon John Young gave a poor review on the grounds of the very poor physical reproduction. The publishers were unhelpful but I see on Amazon that two publishers have been involved in reprints of this work - Kessinger & Forgotten Books. I have examples of Kessinger's work and they're usually acceptable (the pages & soft cover very often enlarged in size even if the book itself was much smaller, leaving very wide margins but that's OK with me if that's all there is).

JY doesn't say which publisher was involved. Which one was involved in your copy, Andrew, please, and is the reproduction any good? Does it contain page 88, elusive in all the copies JY tried?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Peter
AMB

Peter,

My copy is by Kessinger Inc.

Reproduction is good (HB copy), but - I've just checked - p88 is not reproduced which is annoying. The plates at the back are complete, albeit they are reproduced with blank pages in between.

I wonder if I can get the Bodleian Library in Oxford to photocopy p88 for me?

My inability to reproduce free on-line downloads as proper books ensures I strive to add real books to my library. This is an interesting addition.

AMB
Keith Smith

Andrew

If you will give me an email address in a private message, I would be happy to let you have a copy of p. 88; the archives.com version is complete.

KIS
Peter Ewart

Thanks Andrew. I'm pleased it's Kessinger. I've seen the online version & would like to acquire this work.

I very much doubt if an institution as august as the Bodleian would dream of allowing a work of this age - and comparative rarity - anywhere near a photocopier. Most reputable libraries and archives repositories draw the line at 100 years as far as bending back spines to open books for photocopying but, in this day and age, they would certainly have a policy covering digital photography.

Keith: Read most of the online version last night. I'd already seen sundry extracts & some of the sketches before but it was a reminder that this really is a superb little work.

Peter
AMB

Keith,

Thank you so much for the copy of p88. Very much appreciated.

AMB
Surgical Experiences in the Zulu and Transvaal Wars