rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Finished Mk V Martini Ammo Box
Lester 1964

Hi all
Have at long last finished my MK V Martini ammo box.
Would like to take this opportunity to thank all members for their contributions especially Bill Cainan, Jeff Dickinson and Adrian Whiting. I Have tried to add as much detail as possible. I am very pleased with the results but I will be making more boxes as some details I believe I can improve on.
As always if anyone has information or photos of original boxes I would really appreciate their input.
If you would like to see images of my MK V ammo box please follow the link below. hoping this works

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=wilcur+carpentry+services
Kiwi Sapper

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
I stand in awe.

If there is a fault with your product,. it can only be that it is superior to the original.

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
Alan
Site Admin

Lester,

it looks great. It looks like an original in aged effect.

Could you tell me, what is the removable lid made from?
Is that a rhomboid shape? Is that a finger hole for lifting?

Hi Alan The box is made from mahogany. I was lucky enough to have a damaged Victorian gate leg table which I recycled. The opening is tapered and slides horizontally with the aid of the finger pull. the slide is attached to main box by a lanyard. The idea being the box, when empty would be returned and refilled.
The box has a tin lining with a peel away sardine type pull off section. I believe the ammunition was sealed in the inner tin box then fitted into the disassemble mahogany outer box. My box, the peel away tin lining opening is held down by double sided tape the originals where soft soldered in to position.
I do be leave they changed the design after the Zulu conflict. the pull off section was changed from the corner to a more central position. I believe they had problems opening the inner boxes.
Thank you for the nice comments and I hope I have answered your question.
Jeff Dickinson

Lester,
Really great stuff my brother! Fantastic job! Sent you an email as well. Thank you for the pictures.
Stay Well, Jeff
Rob D

Lester,
Great job with the ammo box. I'm no expert with ammunition boxes but that pull-out section of the tin liner has always seemed a bit questionable to me if you need to get more ammunition quickly because even if it came off easily it'd leave nasty sharp edges behind and the first few packets of ammunition would be hard to get out without cutting yourself to ribbons - like trying to drag sardines out of a can with your fingers.
Rob
peterw

That's a quality job - thanks for sharing.

Peter
Lester 1964

Hi Rob D
The tin inner lining is made in such away as the opening has a folded over edge, which is very smooth to the touch. this edge also strengthens the opening as the tin is less than 1/64" thick. The pull off section is soft soldered over the opening to for a water tight seal when you pull on the handle you break the solder seal to gain access to opening.
Hope this helps.
Alan
Site Admin

So, the sliding lid would come towards us? I asked about the material as that part is almost black.

Hi Alan
The slide lids do come towards you as they have a slight taper and will only pull out in one direction. They were colour coded. I do not know all the details. I am very sure other members can help you with this detail. I used black ink the same as the stencils. So it is black ink over a mahogany slide lid.
Rob D

Lester,
Thanks for explaining that - not like a sardine can at all!
Rob
Finished Mk V Martini Ammo Box