rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Chelmsford telegraph to Victoria
Alan
Site Admin

In Sheldon's book, there is a copy of the telegraph to Victoria.
Is this the original text or a facsimile of the Richard Burton narrative?
(I've not worked out the DVD player yet to compare.)

"I regret to report...."

I've managed to DVD it and Sheldon's copy (below) is that used in Zulu. Does anyone know where I can find the text of the actual?

Alan -

The telegram itself was reproduced in a number of newspapers; it can be found in the Chelmsford Papers, NAM ref. 8/29. You will find it reproduced on pp. 81-2 of Laband�s Lord Chelmsford�s Zululand Campaign 1878-1879 (Army Records Society, 1994). I have a copy somewhere; if you need it, I can scan it for you (it goes without saying that the version used in the film is substantially different to the one Chelmsford sent).

News about Isandhlwana did indeed reach the public in Britain on Tuesday 11 February; the The North Wales Express noted that

The terrible intelligence received on Tuesday morning woke up Pall Mall and Whitehall with a start; and before noon had struck a posse of generals were holding a council of war in Pall Mall, and her Majesty�s Ministers were concerting measures at Whitehall. A Cabinet Council, called together by electric telegraph, met at two o�clock. The proceedings of the Cabinet Council lasted an hour, the discussion being confined to the one topic of the war. At the close the First Lord of the Admiralty and the Secretary for War were detained, to have private conversation with the Premier. The Press Association has been furnished with the following official information of the results of the deliberations of her Majesty�s Ministers: � Reinforcements, in consequence of the urgency of Lord Chelmsford�s telegram, were agreed to be despatched, and Government showed their appreciation of the state of affairs by granting to his Lordship a larger number of additional troops than he had asked for[.]
Alan
Site Admin

Paul,
many thanks for the offer, if you are able, I would appreciate a copy. I confess that I don't
have that particular book. I'm curious here as to you not knowing where your copy is while
quoting the relevant page?

The details were on my PC, in a footnote of something I'm writing at present; the book itself, however, was not to hand at that particular moment. I found it this morning perched between my copies of Why Chocolate is Good For You and It's Not The End: Dealing with the Pain of being a Norwich City Supporter.

P.
Alan
Site Admin

Sounds like quite a varied library you have there.

In my viewing of Zulu last night, a couple of things caught my attention.

When Hook looks out of the hospital window as the wagons are being brought round,
he is dubbed when saying something like 'they got the old bastard to change his mind. The dub
being where I put 'bastard'. I can't imagine that's the case as later, he says the word again, undubbed.

Also, I'm sure it's been covered but why is someone with so many mentions not an actual defender.
Hughes, I know you're here. I saw you. The film is good on the other names but why is Hughes there?