rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Peter Ewart

Sarah

See the PS in my posting of 20th Oct, which you may have missed.

Don't dismiss the Australian possibility out of hand. 1919 was not a pleasant time for many in England - disillusion, strikes, shortages, etc. Perhaps he'd met some ANZACS in England and was impressed by their refreshing attitude? Perhaps he was joining a son or daughter who'd emigrated, or knew someone else who had? (I think the Gov'r of NSW at that time was one Lord Chelmsford!) The years after the Great War saw a lot of emigration to Oz, although no doubt most were younger than him. Oral history has a way of containing some unlikely truths. Perhaps the old lady wasn't making it up about Australia.

Peter
Sarah89

I'm in contact with Tony Jones, so hopefully i should get more on Alexander, hopefully leading me to his death place. Me and my Aunt always wanted to go over to France and research are French ancestry, and Alexander's son went over there to live and he died there too so, that might lead us somewhere if we went over there.
Sarah89

Havent been here in ages, but if John Young still comes on and sees this, would you be able to PM please? I have sent you an email but have not heard a reply, you could of changed your email i don't know.

I still have no more information on Alexander for this thread, i know nothing else about his action in Holbane, but if anyone else does. Please don't hesitate to post in the thread or PM me.

Thanks!
ANDY LEE

Sarah

Maybe of interest coming soon from Pen and Sword books

Evelyn Wood VC - Pillar of Empire
Found in: Military Biography
Type: Hardback
ISBN: 9781844156542

Coming Soon - NOVEMBER 2007.

Given the increasing interest in the Victorian era an authoritative biography of Field Marshal Sir Evelyn Wood VC is long overdue. By any standards his career was remarkable and began with him in the Royal Navy in the Crimea...

Andy

Sarah89

This has been a very long time since I was on here, but I wanted to post this as at the time a lot of members tried to help me find out more about Alexander.
Thanks to a lovely lady in Canada, we have found Alexander's death in Tours France in 1927. That also being the place of his wife's family.

I have also read Pillar of the Empire, a book about Sir Evelyn Wood. It has so many lovely mentions of Alexander and even the final words Wood said to his loyal valet the Sunday before his death; "I expect to die this afternoon and I wish to thank you for having risked your life to save mine, not once or twice but many times and I thank you with all my heart"

I must say, I'm incredibly proud! I hope past members recall this thread 6 years ago. I also want to thank those again for helping me.
peterw

Sarah

Many thanks for the update which is appreciated. Well done on your research efforts so far; I'm sure that there is more to come.

Peter
Martin Everett

Sarah

I have a set of books - inherited from my grandfather over 40 years ago - an old soldier with 27 years service - which I had first read when I was only 7-8 years old - published in 1915 - 'British Battles on Land and Sea' were edited by Field Marshal Sir Evelyn Wood VC - his account (must be his words) of the battle of Hlobane (28 March 1879) mentions Bugler Walkinshaw - who recovered Captain Campbell's saddle which contained his personal prayer book (given to him by his wife). This prayer book was used in the short burial service. Mrs Campbell must have carried his book with her on her later pilgrimage to Hlobane with the Empress.

Sarah89

Hi guys!
Me again, found some more photos of Alexander (and i cant for the life of me remember how to post photos I've saved to my laptop on here!) , and a newspaper article which me and my family find very interesting, stating after Sir Evelyn Wood passed away he would be making a new start in America at 65! We are not sure what happened there, but we do know where he ended up, and that was France where he died.

(On an added note, we also found out through finding his death, his son Evelyn married a French women in 1919 without divorcing my great grandmother over here, and he never returned. So yes, we did find out more!)

More i read on this man, the more i am proud and humbled i am related to him. Such a fantastic life, and as one of the articles read, his military career was like a Romantic fiction.
Alan
Site Admin

Sarah, if you're having trouble posting images you can post them to me
and I'll upload them for you. Add a caption where appropriate.

[email protected]

Thank you Alan thats fantastic, have sent the email. Please check your inbox!
Alan
Site Admin

Some images supplied by Sarah.