rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Re: Its that man again!
ciscokid

John Young wrote:

To the rest of you, where were you? I'll accept no excuses!

John Y.

I attended the Bristol event - it was amazing, I really really ennjoyed it.
Re: pte. savage location
Kiwi Sapper

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
The Scorer wrote:
Colin Fielding wrote:
Scorer; will do asap, PC at work has thrown a strop ! Regards, Col.

Ah, this new technology ..... bring back the quill pen, is what I say - thanks!

Smile

QUILL PEN?????? Shocked
Tush, I will not have any part of these new fangled inventions, I'm sticking with my tablets, mallet and chisel. Laughing

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
rich

OK Kiwi, you can go a little lighter now without those tablets, mallets chisels in your satchel. Just go out and get yourself an Apple iphone and you'll be able to write with your finger on the screen. Things we see now: phones as writing partners!

Location: Middle Earth & Home of Narnia; (Auckland, New Zealand)
rich wrote:
OK Kiwi, you can go a little lighter now without those tablets, mallets chisels in your satchel. Just go out and get yourself an Apple iphone and you'll be able to write with your finger on the screen. Things we see now: phones as writing partners!

I fear that I am too "Old School" for such a device.
I do, to my dismay, possess a cellular telephone, (forced upon me by She Who Must Be Obeyed,but it is left switched off until I wish to make a telephone call) as I believe that a telephone is for talking. I delight in the shocked features of others when I admit that I have no idea how to send text messages.

It was a confusion of ideas between him and one of the lions he was hunting in Kenya that had caused A. B. Spottsworth to make the obituary column. He thought the lion was dead, and the lion thought it wasn't.
rich

heh heh glad you don't destroy those phones er sort of like what General Ned Ludd did back in the early 19th in England!

I say too bad Chelmsford et al didn't have Google Earth when they entered the land around Isandhlwana. I think he'd then reconsider where he pitched those tents.... Wink

I finally got around to visiting Private Edward Savage's grave a few months ago, on a (very wet!) August Bank Holiday Monday.

Now that I've dried out, I'm sorting through the photos I took during the visit, and I would like some help, please.

On the reverse of Private Savage's headstone, there are the names of Johanna Savage (died 1886) and Ann Lynden (died 1893). Can anyone tell me who these two ladies were and what was their relationship with Private Savage, please?

Thank you.
Alan
Site Admin

With reference to Kris Wheatley's Legacy book (available from Brecon), the following info is supplied:-

He then headed for Cardiff ..... to renew a certain friendship with Johanna McCarthy whom he had met when he had returned to visit his brother in 1880. ....... on 26th March 1883, Edward married Johanna at St Marie�s School Chapel in Canton Cardiff.....

On 7th October 1886 Johanna died at the couples home at 7 Edward Street, Canton, the cause of death was given as Pthisis (tuberculosis). ........Johanna�s funeral took place at 4p.m. on 11th October 1886.

Ann Lynden. I think this is his sister, born 10 July 1853
On 18th February 1893, just fourteen days after Edward�s burial, the grave was disturbed once again for the burial of Ann Lynden, the 41 year old wife of Robert Lydon, a boilermaker by trade. Mrs Lyndon was the final interment, following the funeral the grave was covered over once again, and left unmarked by any headstone.

Thank you very much, most appreciated!

Smile
Alan
Site Admin