rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Rededication
Philip Pearce

Hi there , are any other decendents here going to this years rededication of the V.C and G.C at the service at St Martin in the Fields Church Trafalgar Sq. at the end of this month ?
Colin Fielding

Hi,
yes, me and my brother will be there.

Regs, Colin Fielding.
Alan
Site Admin

What does this entail?

To the best of my knowledge it's by invite only. It is organised by Didy Grahame of the VC/GC Association and is held every two years near Trafalgar Square (preceded by a buffet at The Union Jack Club near Waterloo Station. Usually there is a Royal representative during the service, Prince Charles most recently. The buffet is held at around midday and lots of people who don't know each other, spontaneously chat about who, where and why.
A service at St. Martin in the Field Church at Traffy Square then takes place at about 3pm with hymns, readings, prayers etc.
Must remember to sit on the South side of the Church this time, as the sun streams in on the other and it heats up like Martini Henry barrel !
Service finishes and you either go home or hopefully having made new acquaintances, go to the The Chandos pub just up the road, followed by a quick trip to Oxford Cicrus on the tube to settle in at Ain't Nothin' But Blues bar. Kingly Street ! Sorted !
Alan
Site Admin

Thanks Colin, I had no idea what it was about.

Hi collin , last time I was up in the balcony at the front , stood when the royal trumpeters started but thought the idiot behind me was going to send me tumbling as he hawked over to gawk at Prince charles and The duchess of cornwall ! There was wonderful music. Met Johnson Beharry which was special.
We normally have a light lunch at the tea rooms under st Martins . Well priced and a chance to mingle . Rather than the buffet afterwards we pop around the corner to Garfunkles just off leicester sq, nice and low key.

Diddy from the VC/ GC has indicated invites will be sent out early this month . The service Alan is invitation only and is for those who are holders or relatives of those awarded the VC / GC.
Colin Fielding

Last time I was there a large elderly chap collapsed due to the aforementioned heat but his rapid descent to the floor was arrested by the guy next to him. Unfortunately, the only bit that the bloke could grab hold of was the man's ear which appeared to stretch by four or five inches !! Most undignified but better than banging his head on the solid, wooden benches ! I'm in America as of Sunday so hopefully the tickets and badges will bewaiting for me when I return on the 21st.

Regs, Col.
Alan
Site Admin

Well, the rest of us mere mortals hope you have a good time. Enjoy America Colin.

My gilt edged invitation from Horse Guards Whitehall arrived at 7.30 am as I was leaving the house. So imagine yours on its way as well .This year it will not be Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall but Prince Henry of Wales who will attend. Given all his work I think that will be very appropriate . ( I quite like Harry ) .
Seating tickets and name badges also sent .
Now to book Train ticket . Will prob stay at the Radisson Edwardian around the corner just off Leicester Sq. Yes I do intend clubbing !
Hope you enjoy America !
peterw

Sounds like a very special occasion and quite right too. Hope you both have a good trip.

Peter
Phil Pearce

right see you all there tomorrow whoever turns up Very Happy
Alan
Site Admin

Is Phil Pearce and Philip Pearce one and the same? The locations are 4 miles apart.

yep probably me I had huge log in probs and through default had a dual name created here years ago .... thankfully though only one of me ! I used the origional older log in name Phil not used for years when the one Philip Pearce failed to work.
Alan
Site Admin

They're both working it seems. It matters not anyway, I was just curious.