rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
John Williams/Fielding VC annual memorial service 2014.
Colin Fielding

Just to let you know that JW/F VCs annual memorial parade and service will be taking place on Saturday, 18th January 2014 at St. Michael and All Angels Church, Llantarnam Road, Llantarnam. Cwmbran. Details below;

The Parade will assemble at (10:20) Abbeyfields and proceed to the Church at 10:40 for the Service at 11:00. The Parade will re-assemble at 11:20 and return to Abbeyfields for dismissal at 11:30 or, in the case of inclement weather, in the Car Park of the Greenhouse Public House.

All welcome, but be mindful that there will be road closures leading up to the event and limited parking.

Best regards, Colin Fielding
The Scorer

Is this still on, please?

Smile
John Williams/Fielding VC MEMORIAL SERVICE
Colin Fielding

Hi, to the very best of my knowledge, yes. Could be squelchy underfoot assuming they've had the odd shower down there of late.

Taken from my invite;

The Graveside Service, conducted by the Reverend Frieda Evans (Curate, St. Michael and All Angels, Church), will commence at 1100hrs: Guests are, however, requested to be at the Church by no later than 1030hrs on that morning to await the arrival of the Parade at 1050hrs. The Blaenavon Town Band will lead the Parade of representatives of CADESA, The Royal Welsh Regimental Association (Pontypool Branch) and the Royal Engineers Association.

Please be aware of the naturally undulating terrain within the grounds of the Churchyard: at all times and to protect your personal safety, exercise great care in this area and the route from the car park to the graveside.

The Landlords of The Greenhouse Inn have kindly agreed the use of their car park on that morning and so you are encouraged to make use of this facility. I am also given to understand that the Inn will also be open for coffee / teas (from 10:00) should you wish to purchase them.

Please be aware that a �Temporary Road Closure� will be in force in the area of the Church / Parade route from 1030hrs and road access will be prohibited from that time. It is therefore important that you adhere to the times as stated above. We are very grateful for the support of Torfaen County Borough Council and Gwent Police in the organisation of this Community Event and your co-operation in terms of the above arrangements would be appreciated.

Cheers, Col.
The Scorer

Thank you.

Smile
Alan
Site Admin

The commemoration ceremony was very well attended, and thankfully with no rain.
Also there were Peter and Colin Fielding and his daughter. Martin Everett was also there.
(Apologies if there was someone I didn't recognise)

The well attended ceremony.

Peter & Colin Fielding at the recently replaced headstone.

Good turnout - thanks for the pictures.

Peter
The Scorer

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it - but I'm pleased to hear that it went well; well done!

Smile
The Scorer

Do we have a date for the 2015 ceremony yet, please?

Thank you.
2015 memorial service
Colin Fielding

Hi,
it's normally held on the Saturday nearest the 22nd January which would be the 24th ( rather fitting , being the 24th ! ). I'll find out for definite.

Best regards, Col.
John Williams/Fielding VC
Colin Fielding

Hi again,
as expected, the memorial service will be on 24th January, 2015 at St. Michael and All Angels Church, Llantarnam, Cwmbran.
When I find out more precise timings I will let the forum know. Usually kicks off mid morning, drinking the previous nights remnants in the drip trays at The Greenhouse pub, next door to the Church Surprised)

Regs, Col.
Re: John Williams/Fielding VC
The Scorer

Colin Fielding wrote:
Hi again, as expected, the memorial service will be on 24th January, 2015 at St. Michael and All Angels Church, Llantarnam, Cwmbran. When I find out more precise timings I will let the forum know. Usually kicks off mid morning, drinking the previous nights remnants in the drip trays at The Greenhouse pub, next door to the Church Surprised)
Regs, Col.

Thanks very much - I hope to be there this time!

Smile
Colin Fielding

Nice one, will probably be in The Greenhouse and/or The John Fielding Pubs the night before if you're about?

Best regs, Col.
Alan
Site Admin

Hope to be there on the day as well. Where is the John Fielding pub?

The John Fielding pub is in Caradoc Road,Cwmbran. It's near the town centre. There is a car park behind it but is normally full. There is a free multi storey just along the road. Yes, FREE !!!!!!!!!! The pub is a typical wetherspoons offering. Pleased to say it is usually well populated.

Best regs, Col.
Alan
Site Admin

I think I've checked this before on street view. Doesn't look like the sort of place I'd go out of my way for. Is it themed inside?