rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Dickie Owen - Zulu actor
filmmaker

Very sad news - my great friend and Zulu actor Dickie Owen passed away on Tuesday night - I have just spoken to his carer who confirmed it. Ironic really - when I spoke to Dickie on Tuesday at lunchtime to tell him I was forwarding fan mail to him, he said he was feeling absolutely fine (and he sounded it). He was a lovely man, very humble, and was really surprised at the amount of people who queued to meet him at our Hammer day signing in November in Westminster - we met fans from all over Europe, and even a couple from the US and Canada. He was my special guest at the 50th anniversary royal premiere of Zulu last year at the Odeon Leicester Square, which he loved - being in the spotlight again. Privately, he would talk endlessly about growing up in the music halls, messing about with his great friend Benny Hill (they were both in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang), as well as how he was responsible for casting Michael Caine in Zulu after Cy Endfield dismissed him after his audition. Dickie said he persuaded Cy to give Michael a chance.... Dickie will be greatly missed by those of us who were fortunate enough to know him.
AMB

Very sad news. A superb actor.

AMB
filmmaker

The last filmed appearance he made was in the Zulu 50th Anniversary premiere doccy I made - https://youtu.be/x9Fne6eK_Xg
Dickie Owen - Zulu actor