rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
The Lion Smiles Tonight!
Michael Boyle

Had to make time for this one!

The heirs of Solomon Linda are now millionaires (in any of our respective currencies) due to the successful conclusion of the copy right case. It seems that the British Imperial Copyright Act of 1911 ( where heirs can renegotiate copy rights) has held up not only for South Africa but all former UK colonies and protectorates who were part of the British Empire in 1911. For more of the story see :

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/22/lion.sleeps.royalty.ap/index.html

Here's hoping any appeals will be similarly upheld!

MAB
Rich

Thanks for that Mike. I don't know about you but personally it's funny how life works. When I first heard that haunting and novel song here in the US when I was just a kid I knew absolutely "nuthin" about Zululand, Zulus, South Africa or the Anglo-Zulu War. Just caught up in my own urbanized narrow world. Now today many years later I find the song is connected to a Zulu and I'm somewhat of an amateur historian as regards the AZW.
Now from Wimoweh to Mbube to Chard and Chelmsford, it's been some eye-opening trip and I've come to meet some very interesting and knowledgeable individuals through this subject here who've taught me much about the people and that corner of the world.
Haydn Jones

Thanks for the update chaps. Nice to see that justice appears to have been done with the prospect of a happy end to an otherwise sad story I feel.

H
"Lion Sleeps Tonight"