rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
A few new books
Alan
Site Admin

A Bloody Night: The Irish At Rorke's Drift. by Dan Harvey

Documents the terrifying struggle of these Irishmen as thousands of poorly armed but well-trained Zulus unexpectedly hurled themselves in a headlong, deadly onslaught against their hastily barricaded trading station and mission hospital. The battle, a defining clash in the 1879 Anglo-Zulu War, was a bare struggle for survival; the deeds and heroics of the Irish soldiers, subdued within the grand narrative, were no less exceptional than that of their English counterparts. Dan Harvey brings examples of their sheer resilience to the fore. (from Irish Academic Press)

Crucible of a Honour: The Battle Of Rorke's Drift. Volume 2. by James Mace

Upon hearing of the disaster at Isandlwana, and with retreat impossible, the tiny British garrison readies to receive the coming onslaught. Leading them is Lieutenant John Chard, a newly-arrived engineer officer with no actual combat experience. Aiding him is B Company's previously undistinguished officer commanding, Lieutenant Gonville Bromhead, along with 24 year old Colour Sergeant Frank Bourne, and a retired soldier-turned civilian volunteer named James Dalton. (from fantastic fiction.com)

The Anglo-Zulu War - Isandlwana: The Revelation of a Disaster. by Ron Lock

In 1878, H.M. High Commisioner for Southern Africa and the Lieut. General Commanding H.M. Forces, clandestinely conspired to invade the Zulu Kingdom. Drastically underestimating their foe, within days of entering the Zulu Kingdom the invaders had been vanquished in one of the greatest disasters ever to befall the British army. The author not only dramatically describes the events leading up to the Battle of Isandlwana, and the battle itself but, with new evidence, disputes many aspects of the campaign long held sacrosanct. (from Waterstones)

For The Love Of Frances - Colonel Anthony Durnford of Isandlwana: A Romantic Perspective. by Peter Cleary

The battle of Isandlwana in 1879 was the worst defeat suffered by a British army in the colonies.

The names of some of the combatants resound even today in the chronicles of the Victorian era.

One of them is Colonel Anthony Durnford, Irish-born Royal Engineer, an enigmatic man both loved and maligned, and seen in some quarters to have contributed to the appalling defeat. Yet others see in him a man ahead of his time, a man of liberal views and steadfast integrity.

The title salutes the three women in his life: his wife, Frances whom he met and married in Ceylon, and who deserted him for another man, his daughter Frances, born on the isle of Malta, and the woman he loved in his later life, Frances. (from peterclearybooks) (Kindle edition)

All titles are available from Amazon.

Alan,

Thank you for the heads up.

More books for the library.....!

AMB
Alan
Site Admin

Has anyone had chance to read any of the books listed and provide a review or an opinion?

No I haven't. Hope to read Ron Lock's soon.

Peter
New Book
Robert John

I see Ron Lock,s new book is advertised on Book Depository at 21 percent off.

Site Admin

Book Depository also have free world wide shipping...great for us colonials!

AMB
Alan
Site Admin

Do you have a link for that site? Is it Amazon?

Alan,

They are on Amazon, just look for more purchase options.

JY
Colin

It is interesting that Ron Lock's maps show such a similarity of the dead ground on the heights and on the plain where the Zulus. could congregate in large numbers, unable to be seen or got at with rifle volleys, almost a type of d�j� vu but on the same day within an hour or so. I think I recall HCMDB saying that a 1/24th company advanced several yards to be able to fire down at them on the plain, but if the concern was so evident why weren't some companies positioned more forward to cover this area, albeit possibly away from the cover of rocks, but would at least stop or delay the warriors here, instead of allowing them to move forward un-impeded and appearing directly in front of them 'out of the ground'
The Scorer

Crucible of a Honour: The Battle Of Rorke's Drift. Volume 2. by James Mace

I have recently read this, and I thought that it was quite good.

It follows the pattern of the first volume in the series, but this time concentrating on Rorke's Drift. The author is obviously a fan of "Zulu", as he uses several of the more famous quotes as chapter titles and elsewhere in the book.

The main difference between the two books is that virtually all of the characters are real, with only a couple of the people who featured in the first book appearing again. A lot of words are put into characters' mouths although by and large it works, although there are a couple of points where you think "would he really have said that, then?"

That said, though, it is a good book, and I'd recommend it to anyone. This is the second of a trilogy, with the third one being called "Tears of the Dead". I understand that this will be concentrating on No. 4 Column and taking the story through to the end of the war to (and possibly beyond) Ulundi. I don't know when it's going to be published, but I'll be looking out for it!
The Scorer

I sent a copy of my review to James Mace, and he's replied as follows:

"Thank you for the kind review, much appreciated. I do need to correct you, though. The series is actually going to be five books, not three. The third is called 'Lost Souls: The Forgotten Heroes of Eshowe'. Book Four (which I still don't have a title for) will overlap, as it covers the Khambula campaign. The fifth will then be called 'Tears of the Dead', and will focus on the second invasion, Battle of Ulundi, and much of the aftermath. I'm working on 'Lost Souls' as we speak, and predict it will be out sometime in the spring, with the fourth being released (hopefully) by next autumn. I've been asked if the final book will be released in time for the 140th Anniversary commemorations, to which I reply, "Depends on which anniversary". If the focus is on Isandlwana / Rorke's Drift in January, then I would say no. However, I do hope to have 'Tears of the Dead' released in time for the 140th anniversary of Ulundi in July 2019."

So, there's more thank I thought to come, and I'm looking forward to them!
The Scorer

I have just finished Book Three of James Mace's Anglo-Zulu War series.

Called "Lost Souls - The Forgotten Heroes of Eshowe" it concentrates on the Southern (No. 1) Column led by Colonel Charles Pearson and takes them from their formation to their relief and return to Natal.

On the way, it deals with the Inyezane, the march on to Eshowe, the siege of Eshowe and the efforts to relive the column, and finally the Battle of Gingindlovu and the relief of the column.

As with the others, some characters are created, but most are real, and it's very interesting to follow their story. It's a part of the AZW that I knew very little about, and James brings the story to life in a vivid way, so much so that you can imagine yourself there.

Again, this is recommended, although still with the qualifications given about Book Two above. However, these aren't serious "faults", and could in fact be said not to be faults at all!

I'm looking forward to Books Four (as yet still untitled, I think) which covers the Khambula campaign and Book Five ("Tears of the Dead") which will focus on the second invasion, the Battle of Ulundi, and much of the aftermath.
The Scorer

I have just bought Book Four of James Mace's series, although I haven't begun to read it yet.

It's called "Cruelty of Fate", and deals with the Battle of Khambula and the activities of Colonel Evelyn Wood and No. 4 Column.

I'll try and write a review when I've read it.
A few new books