rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Refusal Of A Medal By The Intended Recipient
Colin

I don't think I have ever heard or read of a recipient themselves refusing an award of a medal, either due to modesty, feeling undeserving, or even the expectation it was going to be for a fellow soldier(s) in the same engagement

Last edited by Colin on Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
peterw

There are various cases of gallantry awards being "negotiated" although not in the context of the Zulu war. Leave it with me and I'll try and find some examples.

Peter
The Scorer

This might not be what you have in mind, but the Victoria Cross was originally able to be awarded following a ballot of eligible people where it was considered that more than one award should be made to a group of soldiers.

There's several instances on record of this happening, but as far as I know, none where the medal was refused by the eventual nominee.
Phil Read

The notes on Colour Sergeant Bourne on this website suggest that he accepted a DCM plus promotion instead of a VC.
Alan
Site Admin

Not AZW, but T E Lawrence refused several awards. The King was not impressed.

AMB
Colin

This is interesting. I didn't know an award could be negotiated or making a deal by the awardee themselves, instead of just superiors on what they considered fitting. Excuse my ignorance, but I can't understand how Bourne might have been awarded a VC, not sure anything he did merited this higher award, beyond the call of duty and all that, and even if he was awarded it, wouldn't a promotion not then be far off anyway, instead of accepting a DCM plus a promotion
AMB

Colin,

In the case of TEL there was no deal - such matters are not the way the operational honours system works, even today - TEL simply declined the awards.

AMB
Refusal Of A Medal By The Intended Recipient