rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Alan
Site Admin

dwh999,

I've tried the museum but without more clues about it, a search has proved fruitless.

Does anyone have any information on the previous visitor centre on the site please?

Ian Knight's "Zulu War Then and Now" page 77.
Steve

Site Admin

Thank you for that Steve, I thought I might have been going mad.

It seems to be more or less where I imagined, at the extent of the Zulu left horn and not far from Durnford's memorial. SE of the hill.

P.S. It looks awful to me.

Image borrowed from Ian Knight & Ian Castle's book, The Zulu War Then and Now.

Alan,

There was a geographical model inside the so-called "crashed hang glider." Ken Griffith made use of it during Black as Hell...

John Y.
AMB

JY et al,

Certainly the model, but not the structure, was still there on my first visit in early 1991.

AMB
Alan
Site Admin

This has been sent out. Anyone wanting a copy of the full appeal decision document, please contact me. Alan.

Subject: APPEAL DECISION: APPEALS AGAINST THE ENVIRONMENTAL AUTHORISATION DC24/0015/2016 -
Isandlwana AFFIRMATION VILLAGE AND GARDEN OF REMEMBRANCE.

Dear Interested and Affected Party,

APPEAL DECISION: APPEALS SUBMITTED AGAINST THE ENVIRONMENTAL AUTHORISATION DATED 12 APRIL 2017
FOR THE PROPOSED CONSTRUCTION OF THE Isandlwana AFFIRMATION VILLAGE AND GARDEN OF REMEMBRANCE,
NQUTHU LOCAL MUNICIPALITY, KWAZULU-NATAL (DC24/0015/2016).

The MEC for Economic Development, Tourism and Environmental Affairs has issued a decision to uphold the
Environmental Authorisation dated 12 April 2017 (DC24/0015/2016) for the above-mentioned project.
Please refer to the attached Appeal Decision which outlines the reasons for the decision.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you have any queries or require further information.

Kind Regards,

Phillipa Harrison
ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT PRACTITIONER

PhD Geog Sci (UKZN), IAIA, IWMSA

There is a YouTube clip with Ms Gugu Ngcobo, of The KZN Arts and Culture Trust
talking of the forthcoming 139th anniversary plans for the battlefield area. It is
understood that Ms Gugu Ngcobo is a keen ANC member although the Trust is non-political.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7FeyiLpyQ4&feature=youtu.be

I feel that things will happen before the issue has been fully examined and the views
of interested parities taken into account.

Further details on the organisation:- http://kwaculture.org.za/index.php/about-us/

I have informed that containers of building supplies have now arrived on site.

JY
Alan
Site Admin

To be honest John, did you really expect the normal procedures of discussion to take place?
I think it's a forgone conclusion. I believe that Princess Zamazulu Shange is having some
moderating input although I think the opposing views have the clout.

I appreciate that it was a victory for the Zulu and a defeat for the British, but that shouldn't
preclude a contribution of views on the project by the British side, who were after all, involved.

Who might be representing this country's views in the matter of developing the the battlefield site?

P.S. Do you know if any of the previous contributors on RDVC are involved in the matter
or are they accepting the situation as a coup de grace for balance? Or is it a fait accompli?

Sorry about all the French.

Alan,

To my knowledge we have no voice, no advocate to state our case.

JY
Alan
Site Admin

If true, I think it is very cynical that the vast knowledge and apparent interest shown previously
is not being applied to this issue. I have emailed the whole of the membership trying to encourage
involvement but it's not had the desired effect.

Alan,

When I first met Gugu Ngcobo in person last year in London, she had with her a very large docket of papers that contained representations from all of the objectors. Judging by the size of it there were several thousand sheets of paper contained in the file.

It now appears that the pleas of those of us who objected to the proposal have been lost in the winds that howl across the battlefield of Isandlwana.

JY
Colin

I did see a comment recently that vans were seen weeks ago at Isandhlwana, the men apparently to prepare the road before development.

I had previously been looking around to see if there were global representatives for archaeology, battlefield protection and graves of war dead, those that might have their own legal department for advice on such matters.

It must be possible to consult a qualified lawyer on how best to approach, as there definitely must be laws to protect battlefields where the dead are still buried.

RDVC members are unlikely to make any impact, even the Zulu War authors themselves or military establishments. British Government ? Petition or some sort of thing to Downing Street ?

I did expect to see the more well-known persons of the Anglo-Zulu War community making more in the way of comments and/or suggestions. Why so quiet, it's puzzling.

It would now take a massive effort and a major obstacle legally to stop something like this that is now underway.
Politics around Isandlwana