rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
An Alternative Painting Of Colonel Durnford At Isandhlwana
Colin

As I searched the net for new and upcoming books, noticed what I thought to be him on the front cover of a Zulu War book fighting on horseback at Isandlwana. Instead it is Fearful Hard Times by Ian Knight. I'm sure it must be a common mistake for enthusiasts, as I thought I discovered something new and exciting. May I ask if someone could please post a clear image the cover here that I mentioned

Last edited by Colin on Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan
Site Admin

There you go.

Fantastic thanks Alan. How brilliant is that, as it could easily be him, face slightly hidden, the making of a beard which many had on campaign, still with large moustache, uniform matching well, left arm looks tucked in jacket, holster on left of waist, bandolier of ammunition, with mounted infantryman on ground (80th) as some IMI were present at Isandhlwana, plus redcoated soldiers making a stand in the background that could be part of Wardell or Pope's company. I must acquire Ian's book as I don't think this painting is available on its own, and I don't have this book anyway
Colin

Interestingly I've looked at John Young's They Fell Like Stones and seen that 80th Regt men were present at Isandhlwana, then in British Forces In Zululand there is a plate showing an 80th I.M.I. trooper with Durnford, etc., wearing the exact same as the man on the book cover. However, on the net I saw a plate of a 90th Light Infantry soldier dressed as an I.M.I. trooper whose uniform is very much like the 80th man. On closer inspection the red-coated soldiers in the background appear to be mounted too, so must be more I.M.I., but why are they with this N.N.H/N.N.C officer
Colin

Book has arrived. Painting is -

'Recommended for the VC: Captain Shervinton's rescue of Private Brooks, outside Eshowe, 11 March 1879'

by Mark Churms
An Alternative Painting Of Colonel Durnford At Isandhlwana