rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Colonial/NNH Horsemanship At Isandhlwana
Colin

I�ve asked a similar question on a few occasions over the years, hoping a publication appeared that I haven�t yet heard about.

What started it to begin with was reading in an AZW book, that when danger is seen by a vedette (NC at Isandhlwana) they would move their horse in circles, to be seen by those at the camp, before the former reacted or withdrew from their location. This interested me on where it was learned.

I�ve had book suggestions over time, but they were mostly about the Irregulars, or �proper cavalry�, however I am seeking a somewhat adapted horsemanship tactics book possible used by non-military units when fighting a native enemy.

Though Military, I am interested in this book about US trooper horsemanship at LBH, to give an idea what I am searching for regarding the Colonial/NNH units, especially the latter, trained by Durnford, etc.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Horsemanship-at-Little-Big-Horn/dp/0741440563/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?s=books&i.e.=UTF8&qid=1542469181&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=Horsemanship+at++Little+Bighorn

I understand such knowledge then must have been learned through either previous military cavalry experience, or in the African terrain and fighting native warriors, by the NNH officers in command of these units
timothylrose

Coll - Roy just sold a copy of Mounted Infantry Training for the Zulu War period on e bay this afternoon - it was one of the photocopies that turn up on fleabay every so often
Colin

Thanks. There must have been some reference point/book heeded in the training of both the Colonials and NNH, as a professional cavalry manual would be too advanced I think, though some aspects could I�m sure be adapted.

I was thinking lately of the Boers, and their way of fighting, both in horsemanship and marksmanship, learned through their lifestyle and way of living pretty much.

There are many Boer War books, so I don�t know the best for actual tactics, unless going by the battles themselves, instead of the specifics of them learning their art
Colonial/NNH Horsemanship At Isandhlwana