rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Martini Henry (Khyber Pass ) Pistol
Colin

I�ve not long seen this in images, but many of the sites with details have various pop-ups, or I don�t trust enough to add here links to them.

However, as it may be less well-known to most, it�d take someone better than myself to give details of its creation, usage, successes or failures...

Worth a look as I�m not sure if very practical as a pistol, made using the MH rifle/carbines ?
timothylrose

Coll - there are plenty of these Khyber made Martini pistols around - they have been made as fakes to be sold as such in the bazaars over the last 20 plus years since Western intervention in the area at one time the Afghan trade in fake Martinis and Sniders for troops out there meant that the "Trophy of War" rules changed to stop them flooding back in the UK. There are a number of ways to i/d fake guns and they have been discussed ad infanitum on various gun boards for decades. Below is a safe link to one style but there are many more out there in .303, .45/577 and other calibres:
http://www.milsurps.com/images/imported/2009/07/AMartiniHenrymadeintoa303pistolkybe-1.jpg

I was offered one in .45/577 awhile back for �300 - but although I have Afghan / Omani Martini rifles, for that sort of money I can buy a proper period revolver [/i]
Colin

I did find myself wary of the truth behind the construction of an MH pistol, much in the same way when seeing an MH adapted by the British Military as a grenade launcher, but was never put into production.

I guess such ideas regarding other uses for firearms and equipment are commonplace, when replaced by updated versions, but whether they see light of day in action, is something else entirely
John Young

Colin,

The Martini action Greener was used as launcher.

JY
Colin

John

Yes, I seem to recall talking about it years ago being also a grappling hook and/or harpoon gun...
Martini Henry (Khyber Pass ) Pistol