rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
New Col Durnford Books To Be Released
Colin

Last edited by Colin on Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
Colin

Kris Herron...if you are a member here, this is Coll just to say that Facebook has been messing about with my account...again - locking, unlocking, blocking, etc - that I�ve given up trying, as it was only Ian�s AZW Group I was a member of, never used it for anything else, so I�ll be here as long as Alan doesn�t mind, as unable to join the other AZW websites.

So, just to say good luck again with your book, but will not be posting any more on the FB Group(s) including your own...which�ll be a relief to many, especially the (usual) 24th fan(s) !😁 as no more Anthony topics there...by me at least.

Hope you are okay with me being back Alan...in order to maintain contact with the AZW Community ?
AMB

Looking forward to the publication of this Durnford book. Another excellent title by Helion and Co.

I suspected that Coll (maybe this group�s biggest Durnford fan!) would share this interest.....😃

Another for the library.

AMB
Colin

I feel obliged to notify on this topic that confusion appears to have arisen on both the publishers and release dates of the Durnford book(s)

I�ve only recently found out that this publisher Helion had financial difficulties, therefore another publisher was involved, which as I�ve also found out has published what is two volumes of Durnford books - one titled as here mentioned, the other covering the Isandhlwana Papers - as advertised on amazon U.K. The front covers on all three of these books are very much identical, especially the latter publications, so check headings when ordering.

Personally, I had pre-ordered the publication shown above as the initial item, and have decided to not cancel it to prevent crossing-over payments causing more confusion for myself....apparently due about 11th September.

I�ve ordered the second volume from the other publisher, due around 28th August....there my own situation remains until issues are resolved.

There may also be some confusion over formats needing clarified, mentions of paperback and ebooks primarily, as for hardbacks I know not.

My apologies Alan for posting, but felt the situation may need to be known...as much as is possible to know that is...

Hopefully it will correct itself soon...

Coll

Last edited by Colin on Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
AMB

Coll,

Thanks for the update.

Are you able to give the details of all the books?

Thank you in advance.

AMB
Colin

AMB

You will find a bit more details about the books on the author�s Facebook page listed as �Col Anthony William Durnford Facebook� - along with other interesting information, letters, locket photo of Anthony, etc., in some recent posts by the author herself.

Coll
Colin

Further to the above.

I�ve just received Volume 2 of the set which was ordered from the other publisher, I�d cancelled Volume 1 from Helion and reordered it from this company.

I�m delighted after all these years waiting for such a publication, the fact that there are two volumes is more than I could have wished for at the beginning

Coll

Last edited by Colin on Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Colin

Lastly...

Volume 1 has just arrived. Quick and excellent service from amazon U.K., my versions being paperbacks.

Quality and look of book covers are fantastic and nicely finished.

Contents are written in a good size lettering, clearly defined in short paragraphs.

Additionally, I�m sure they could start a few interesting discussions by members on forums....

Coll
Colin

With your permission Alan...

As there are no real reviews as yet, due to publishing issues at the beginning, leading onto the incorrect file being used to print the two volumes at the moment on sale at amazon U.K., and likely elsewhere...creating complications with either returning the items and gaining a refund...or as I�m hoping, the planned correct file editions apparently being published properly this month of October.....being sent free to those who have paid for and acquired the two incorrect volumes...the latter with numerous errors.

That being said, I�ve read both these incorrectly issued volumes, and ignoring to an extent any obvious errors, am pleased to say the info contained is both intriguing and illuminating to post-Isandhlwana events...

Not wishing to give away the details, I do think they will be an eye-opener to many and quite possibly a worry to others....depending on opinions...

Whatever the result of the mistakes, going by what I�ve read in the books, I�m keeping these two incorrect versions...as comparisons for the two newer publications, to see just exactly what amendments were made to the former to end up with the finished item...

This is not exactly....or can�t be...a proper review of the Durnford volumes...but I guess better than not reading anything other than the blurb and the printing fault-finding...

Not sure what the AZW FB pages are saying about them...still trying to sort out my account...so can�t see all the info on their forums...
Colin

Further to the above...(if okay Alan)

Events depicted in these books post-Isandhlwana (I have read both of them twice, including Edward�s book) may seem to some insignificant, due to being so long ago. There is even a phrase used these days regarding the present - �In a 100 years time who�ll care what is said...we�ll all be dead� - to this I would say...the descendants of people will care what is said about us....so always getting history straight is, or should be a priority, when it affects individuals and their family both then and in future-times.

Let me explain it another way...if what is covered in these books happened today...a time of leaked documents, whistleblowers, etc., in the military and public domain...and the determination of family and investigative reporters to discover truthful facts to inform the public in general of any deception at the highest levels, relating to the deaths of hundreds of men in (an illegal) war, well...it would have been front page news in every paper, and all media.

Maybe the situations that really have arisen in recent times regarding manufactured conflicts created by scaremongering, and bad intelligence...can be compared with that of 1879...it wasn�t such an innocent time as may be thought...and reputations as now...maybe even more so...had to be protected.

My opinion does not count of the information contained within the Isandhlwana Papers...but Kris has accomplished an incredible task in researching and discovering this evidence...in such a short period of time (5 years?) with little or no knowledge about the Zulu War 1879 beforehand.

How a descendant managed to locate, put in order and publish their findings...on a subject that has been studied for 140 years, yet all the Evidence File was never discovered beforehand by others, which itself was only found now after other historians traced important details decades ago...allowing the possibility of more information to exist.

I congratulate Kris on continuing Edward�s investigation and reaching a successful outcome, that may cause ripples in the study of Isandhlwana, previously and in later works.

Alan - as not having seen anything much written as a review, even if these are the incorrectly published editions, I felt something positive should be put forward regarding the contents itself, instead of the publishing problems.

Please delete if not agreed with or wanted (I see no problem Coll - Alan)

Coll
Colin

Happy New Year and with your permission Alan

In previous years on forums and even now, members were constantly crying out, craving new evidence to appear, perhaps discovered in attics or basements...or as it turns out, in Museum archives, that would give pause and cause us to reassess events and participants with a fresh approach. It was my understanding such a discovery would be embraced wholeheartedly by all, at a time when it was thought nothing more would ever surface, too much time having passed.

However, what I had considered to be an amazing piece of investigation, materials were found, organised and published, relating to the �bigger picture� of what had become the accepted norm...

...but nothing has been discussed pretty much everywhere, which in my view, is quite astonishing due to its value to us all and the subject we are supposed to study minutely with great interest and excitement.

I felt compelled to just add this unimportant post before the next Isandhlwana Anniversary, to enquire, albeit answers not being directly to myself, what the contents of these volumes will do to future coverage of Isandhlwana in publications and story-telling.

Namely, is it embraced or will it be ignored or overlooked, due to its variation of the history presented to us all these years, of how things played out on the battlefield and in the aftermath ? Or is this new evidence as unimportant as it seems to have been considered, negating any discussions...or are we afraid to rock the boat by starting any

Interestingly, even now, the cry is still going out for hopeful new evidence...but why is this...when some does appear nobody reacts. To me as an enthusiast, it creates a conflict of what people say they want, as in - hoping for new evidence..but at the same time...only if it is compatible with what has gone before...if so, that is a very confusing take on the study of history.

Have a great 2020 !
Alan
Site Admin

Happy New Year to you too Coll.

I assume you are referring to Durnford's life generally and his military career in particular
when you talk of new information?

I haven't read the book and probably won't as my interest in him would only relate to the
part he played in the AZW and the battle of Isandhlwana in particular.

I suspect that many would share that view and therefore revelations or new information
will only be of interest to some.

I also wonder if any additional revelations would add to the perceptions of him and his
part in the war.

I can't be specific because I haven't read the book and you didn't highlight any specifics.

Alan

Alan

Yes, I left it as a general enquiry rather than specific, to see what, if anything of the contents caught the attention of members.

I guess in the main the second volume covering The Isandhlwana Papers, being the Evidence File gathered by the Royal Engineers in the aftermath is particular to the Zulu War 1879, is what is quite important.

When you think of documents being disclosed to the public, it is likely people will have heard of those connected with more recents events/cover ups - The Pentagon Papers, etc - but I think the Isandhlwana Papers are significant too, not only about main participants, but how Isandhlwana happened and what happened in its aftermath.

This evidence puts right a crucial part of how things really unfolded, in particular a vital point at which blame was allocated for everything that followed...but how people were silenced and investigation stopped

The quietness on forums regarding this new information is deafening, catching my attention more than if people were debating it to a great extent.

In my own opinion, this very silence says much more about how the evidence has been absorbed, being that facts have been put forward en masse, instead of bit by bit, that makes criticism by anyone a difficult task, as it is not hearsay, or modern interpretations...but actual primary sources.

I decided to advance the above enquiry in the hope of getting some to talk about the books...here or on other forums

Coll
Alan
Site Admin

I don't know if it applies to other forums but there doesn't seem to be any interest in going
into the subject in depth the way it was some years ago. Whether that's because many experts
have moved on to pastures new or even heavenly ones, there isn't the desire to study the
subject in depth.

Alan

You are absolutely spot on, I�ve noticed it too.

Subjects discussed only seem to go so far and no further, before turning round on itself sort of thing....I remember someone made the comment, that when an interest gets to this point, it is known to be rootbound...like a plant in too small a pot with its roots going round and round, unable to break through...in order to go into new ground...

Strangely, it was Kris� books that brought me back from stopping this hobby, but can understand it�s maybe too late for them to make a difference now.

Coll
New Col Durnford Books To Be Released