rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Modern Painting Of �Incident At Bushmans Pass�
Colin

Although not a fan of this artist, I happened to find this interesting, on scrolling the included paintings, there is a more modern take on the Incident At Bushman�s Pass where Durnford sustained the injury to his left arm.

Not exactly a masterpiece, but I think the only other image of the scene, outside of the other older painting by a different artist.

Interest value only methinks. Artist is Bill Race, only ever seeing this before by someone who actually owns the book

https://books.google.co.uk/books?I'd=5tQjpOYkmr0C&pg=PA70&lpg=PA70&dq=Durnford%27s+last+stand&source=bl&ots=aNcaGvu8Xv&sig=ACfU3U1oz66SIg_-khSMsYzajbSuk7N3tA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjK_PnOt4fsAhVsaRUIHS4LCNU4WhDoATADegQICBAB#v=onepage&q=Durnford's%20last%20stand&f=false
Alan
Site Admin

Colin, I think the illustrations are very useful as a support to text and certainly help to give
a fuller understanding. I don't think they would stand up on their own on their artistic merit,
although that is always down to the individual.

Last edited by Alan on Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Yes,, it may not be very realistic, but I found it very interesting, as nobody has ever attempted painting this incident to my knowledge, other than the older depiction, which apparently was lost or stolen, and never located again, only shown in books.
Colin

What intrigues me about seeing this painting again, is how similar it is to the paintings we see of Buller and Lord Beresford in the rescue attempts they made of men during the Zulu War 1879, but they were awarded VCs for those actions.

Is it because the men they were saving lived, but the man Durnford was trying to do similar for was killed ?

Why are the first two seen as heroic, but the latter reckless, when we know Buller himself not only helped create the dire situation they faced at Devil�s Pass, but was rewarded afterwards instead of held to account for the deaths of his men ?

It has always puzzled me, along with the identical action by Hans Moore VC too, in 1877 -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Moore

What am I missing ?

Is there some loophole that makes one recommended for a medal, but another denied for the same situation ?

This is a rhetorical question, as I think it has been covered before, albeit unconvincingly....the Bushmans Pass painting just reminded me about it is all
Alan
Site Admin

Colin,

there are criteria for being awarding the VC. I think we ought to accept that they weren't fully met
in the case of Durnford and his action. We aren't always given reasons and it doesn't seem right to
question the decisions. I am obviously aware of the esteem in which you hold Durnford and that
obviously affects your opinion on the matter.

There must be a few VCs which ought to have been awarded and others that shouldn't.

Although you wouldn't alter the award of VCs, you may feel that you could dispute the reasoning
behind the decision.

I imagine you will continue the point, especially the way you feel about him.

Yes, I don�t wish to pursue this in any detail on the forum, as it was already discussed I think, maybe during one of the Melvill/Coghill questioning of their posthumous VCs.

I wouldn�t have known about Hans Moore if Edward hadn�t mentioned it in his book, John Young too in Victoria�s Harvest.

I think it was a painting of a similar ilk showing another VC awardee, which is on the front cover of Ian Knight�s Fearful Hard Times book.

I�ll leave it for others to hopefully ponder over the topic subject
Modern Painting Of �Incident At Bushmans Pass�