rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
First Shots Fired on Jan 22nd 1879.
Jamie

Maybe a silly question but....Would I be right in saying that the first shots were fired at the Zulu Impi's from Nyezi Hill as early as 7am on the morning of the Battle of Isandlwana, by lookouts?

Trying to get my head round this, as I always thought the shooting started at Ngwebeni valley (around 11am?) when Durnfords probe ran into the main army that was camped here. If the early morning shooting story is right, then surely the camp would have known that they were about to be outflanked.

I have been to the battlefield and had several very good tours, including one to the Ngwebeni valley and I still can't get my head round how the Zulu army moved 25,000 men to with-in 5 miles of Isandlwana and not be detected. Brilliant and brave move by the Zulu's in my book, when you actually see the terrain!

Jamie
Keith Smith

Jamie

This matter has been 'done to death' on the old-style forum. I think it might still be available and would repay a visit and search. The controversy arose as a result of Lock and Quantrill's book "Zulu Victory", which is still a great read.

Meantime, I have contacted you off-Forum.
KIS
Julian whybra

...and is well-countered by Mike Snook...but then I'm only half way through the book!
Dawn

I have hesitated before posting this but I thought I'd bring something different to this thread. Technically speaking, and at the risk of being pedantic, it could be said that the first shots fired on 22 Jan 1879 were from Major Dartnell's rather nervous force on the Hlazakazi Hill during the night. I don't have the exact timing of these shots but from my reading of it, this probably happened in the early hours of the morning.

However, I guess what you are getting at, Jamie, is when were the first shots fired that could be said to have started the battle of Isandlwana. Knowing Keith's expertise, I would imagine that he has answered this for you.

Dawn
Julian whybra

So, Jamie, to answer you original question, it's back to my original belief that there is no real evidence to suggest that the first shots were fired from Nyezi, in fact, the evidence would point to the fact that they were not.
First Shots Fired on Jan 22nd 1879.