rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Actual 'Isandhlwana' filming location of Zulu Dawn????
naseby

Where is it? Often misquoted as Zulu Dawn being filmed on location at 'Isandhlwana' (of course there was a long-shot where Pulleine says : 'Issel, Isan... it was shown in the distance as I say) but the actual hill they filmed at wasn't of course, Isandhlwana mountain. Worse still, we know they called it 'Isandula' at the time (testament in a street also named as such in Nottingham).
I remember in 1978/9 when it was being filmed an article in the Daily Mail, 'on set'. All I remember was that they said at the time of filming, they WERE filming at Isandhlwana, but its shadow cast too heavily over the set, so bad 'lighting' resulted in a move to another location. (I imagine they were filming on the OPPOSITE side to the memorials). Subsequently, they filmed at the hill we see in the film. Was it near, or further away? Anyone know the name/location of the 'other' hill? Thanks.
Mel

Naseby

The film location used for Isandlwana is Isiphesi Hill. It's about nine miles East of Isandlwana.

The scenes of Melvill and Coghill's death were filmed on the banks of Fugitives Drift.

The death scenes of Sgt. Williams and Pvt. Williams were filmed at both Isiphesi and Rorke's Drift. If you look closely you will see how the background changes and Shiyane Hill is clearly visible in some of the cuts. Bob Hoskins was not happy, apparently, with his scenes at Isiphesi so had some of them reshot but, due to convenience, shot them at RD.

The scenes of the invasion crossing into Zululand were actually filmed at RD. However, it was filmed in reverse with the British Army crossing from the Zulu side of the river.

naseby

Mel, sorry for the delay - thank you so much for that piece of information, pal! Take care!
Mikey29211

Mel wrote:
Naseby

The film location used for Isandlwana is Isiphesi Hill. It's about nine miles East of Isandlwana.

The scenes of Melvill and Coghill's death were filmed on the banks of Fugitives Drift.

The death scenes of Sgt. Williams and Pvt. Williams were filmed at both Isiphesi and Rorke's Drift. If you look closely you will see how the background changes and Shiyane Hill is clearly visible in some of the cuts. Bob Hoskins was not happy, apparently, with his scenes at Isiphesi so had some of them reshot but, due to convenience, shot them at RD.

The scenes of the invasion crossing into Zululand were actually filmed at RD. However, it was filmed in reverse with the British Army crossing from the Zulu side of the river.

I thought that the Williams death was filmed at Rorke's Drift... Late reply lol

Site Admin

Williams is a fairly common name in the 24th. At Rorke's Drift, John Williams (Fielding) VC and three others:
Williams, John. Private. 25B/934, E Company
Williams, Joseph. Private. 25B/1398 B Company, killed in action 22 January 1879
Williams, Thomas. Lance-Sergeant. 25B/1328, died of wounds 23 January 1879

I asked similar questions about the Zulu Dawn film locations, the answers I got were something like where the building is/was that the garden party was held is in private ownership (aka don�t visit) The area and building used as the parade ground ended up more about the subject that the filming ruined the cricket ground. Also, I recall being told that to take an interest in the place where the battle was held in the film, would detract from the main battlefield only a few miles away. I guess in other words, with Zulu Dawn being a flop, it was better to visit the actual locations of 1879, instead of the locations of a bad film, though obviously the previous Zulu filming location is hugely popular still.

They didn�t film on the actual Isandhlwana battlefield more to do I think with it being where the dead were still buried. It would have been awful to see pretend fighting and disruption in amongst, or even near to the graves/cairns of those who died brutal deaths in large numbers, rather than to do with the lighting or shadows.

I feel the same way about the Little Bighorn battlefield where the dead still lay and where they fell still marked, very like at Isandhlwana. I guess that�s why films on that subject too, the filming locations and terrain vary from the actual scene of the fighting in 1876.

It is more respectful to the dead.
Mikey29211

I'm sorry i meant CSM and PTE William's death scenes were filmed at Rorke's Drift as tou can see the Oskarsberg" eyebrow cery plainly