rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Sandy Barnard & Kevin Galvin - Zulu/Indian War AZW Event
Colin

I�ve finally just received a copy of �I Go With Custer: The Life And Death Of Reporter Mark Kellogg� by Sandy Barnard, in excellent condition, including superb dust jacket, with a writing on the inside to someone and signature from 1998, which is a bonus.

However, it is the author himself I wish to enquire about, as I seem to recall many years ago he was supposed to hold a talk at an AZW event about the subject in the heading of this topic, but I don�t think he was able to attend.

This was from another event -

https://www.anglozuluwar.com/images/Journal_19/Comp__Zulu_Sioux_campaign.pdf

Is this the same man, plus did he ever give such a talk at any AZW event ?

It is also interesting, due to the recent image I found of Custer, posing in a way common for the time, but left arm tucked in his jacket, by choice rather than an injury

https://truewestmagazine.com/picture-perfect-custer/

Quite surprising to read in the article that there are over 500 pictures of Custer�s Last Stand, when you consider there being so very few of a similar subject at Isandhlwana (less than 10). I guess Custer�s fame explains the difference in amount.

If Little Bighorn was depicted in art in the same way as Isandhlwana has been in the aftermath until the present, it would mean all the paintings would show only the 7th cavalry troopers and some officers in the last stand, but Custer himself missing, apart from one or two rare occasions, including the latter being titled Custer�s Last Stand, which would have been seen as highly unusual.

Anyone meet Sandy Barnard personally ?

Additionally, it is interesting to read the details about Kevin Galvin too in the notes section of the first link
Sandy Barnard & Kevin Galvin - Zulu/Indian War AZW Event