rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Usually Visiting Edward Durnford�s Grave On 22nd January ?
Colin

The pandemic has stopped such non-essential travel, but wished to ask out of curiosity, if anyone usually visits Anthony�s brother�s grave on the anniversary of Isandhlwana, when unable to go to the actual grave of Anthony ?

I ask this because of Edward�s role in the Isandhlwana aftermath, kind of taking on the authorities, at a time when it was risky to do so, regarding his own career and reputation.

Edward to me, due to his loyalty and determination during his investigation, is also a heroic individual, albeit a situation of a different kind of battlefield - political and so forth.

Can anyone please update me on the condition of Edward�s grave, plus is it known, with cemetery and of course the family�s permission, to perhaps lay a wreath at a future anniversary, in memory of both brothers, as a personal act by myself.

I do recall several years ago someone took photos and footage of it, but wondered if anyone has visited since or hopes to in the future, pandemic being finally over that is ?

Many thanks in advance for any info
Colin

Many thanks

A cemetery in Harpenden (Kent?) I have vague memory of being mentioned, it�s name starts with North(something) I think, I�ll check earlier posts in the old forum.

I�m in Scotland so don�t know the areas at all.

I had contact with a Liz Lydekker at the time, who scanned a photo of Edward for me, which I have only just framed, thinking I lost it.

There was a younger brother I�m sure, called Arthur, but I don�t know much about him or where buried, plus I think there are many descendants with the name Durnford
Alan
Site Admin

I sorted my brain out. It's St.Nicholas Church, Harpenden. The pictures I've sent you are correct.

Great thanks Alan

I�ve no idea why I thought it started with North
Usually Visiting Edward Durnford�s Grave On 22nd January ?