rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Preparing An Actor For The Role Of A Military Commander
Colin

There are �making of� clips/photos from the Zulu films, but I�ve watched a really interesting �making of� for the film Alexander, though the film itself is not the subject of this topic.

In �Becoming Alexander� (which I think is on YouTube) you follow Colin Farrell and how he prepares for the role as a believable commander of men, through study, weapons training, fight choreography and actually ordering men about at the pre-film boot camp, guided by a military advisor who himself is known through various war films and documentaries -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1aXXZe5YA4

If, and that is a big if mind, a new film is made about Isandhlwana and/or Rorke�s Drift, I�d love to see an identical �making of� for them as shown on �Becoming Alexander�, it is so much better than seeing an actor placed in a role who is not convincing as a leader of men, nor has done the necessary training beforehand, so a sort of disbelief and detachment in the role, remaining unconvincing to audiences.

In my opinion, Colin Farrell in this documentary excels in his training along with �his� men, more than I liked the film itself.

It really is the best �making of� I�ve seen of the physical aspects of preparing an actor to lead men on a battlefield.
Preparing An Actor For The Role Of A Military Commander