rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Colonial Uniforms Of Units At Isandhlwana
Colin

The History Bunker has added - Natal Carbineer Officer, trooper and bugler; Newcastle Mounted Rifles and Buffalo Border Guard to their stock. Not sure of any plans about Natal Mounted Police yet, but I keep checking

https://thehistorybunker.co.uk/UNIFORMS%20OF%20THE%20BRITISH%20EMPIRE
Colin

As an update, it appears that this company has now designed a Natal Mounted Police officer�s jacket, which now means they�ve got the uniforms, or at least parts of them, of the four Colonial Units at Isandhlwana.

It gets so much closer to the idea of an independent Isandhlwana Colonials Re-enactment Group, solely devoted to them, for AZW Events.

It is my hope, this company, who seem to be aware of all the units present, may eventually make available the full RE uniform of the senior officer who commanded them at the end.

Not sure if it�d be the first personality reenactor at the events, but it�d be great to have him appear at these public occasions along with the volunteers.
Colin

Not sure I�ve added this behind-the-scenes photograph from ZULU DAWN, which I felt that although it shows Burt Lancaster, it gives an idea how great it would be that a Col Durnford re-enactor (along with Colonial Volunteers) could also interact with the public at future events, telling his/their story and of their participation in the action at Isandhlwana, as I�ve mentioned before, not even sure the wider public knows of him and the other units.

This would be the best way to introduce themselves to visitors who don�t actually study the subject in-depth.

I think it is a cracking natural photograph of how �selfies� would look on such a day, standing beside the senior commander and/or the Colonials too.

I keep my fingers crossed that events do eventually widen into these other areas/portrayals, as this is another aspect needing a bit of a fresh input from other non-24th AZW re-enactment groups, possibly newly formed.
Colonial Uniforms Of Units At Isandhlwana