rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Print Of Wagon Near To Durnford�s Last Stand
Colin

I recall adding this when I was on Facebook, being by Jeff Huntly, which I thought was fantastic not just for the reason in this topic�s title, but it is almost like a painting of the �real� recreation in progress of the scene from ZULU DAWN, before Durnford is depicted on top of it, firing his revolver, with the volunteers and Zulus fighting around it

Ian Knight did a nice video from this point on the battlefield, including making reference to the scene in ZULU DAWN and how there could be some truth in that may actually have happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8GZm0zmgn8

Personally, I believe so, as Durnford would have wanted to be seen from a distance, so gaining a high point physically would have been a necessity, lacking anything in the way of a flag to identify his position as a rallying point and judging from his earlier action at the donga, it does raise the possibilities he again displayed the same bravery, to inspire his men.

It may also explain why he was so visible in accounts, even though there was chaos amongst the camp in the later stages.
Print Of Wagon Near To Durnford�s Last Stand