rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Durnford 2-Volume Set By Kris Herron - Any Proper Reviews ?
Colin

I�ve been looking and waiting for reviews about this set of books, but obviously on amazon U.K. the �reviews� killed any further posts there...I know three of the four reviewers and their connection to the study of the Zulu War 1879.

However, there must be proper reviews elsewhere on the net, as I don�t believe I�m the only person who has read these books twice, very impressed with the new info, but there is total silence like there was no new discovery at all.

Anybody seen any detailed reviews anywhere else on the net ?

Thanks in advance

Colin

Alan

Please delete if inappropriate, but I hope you and I agree it needs to be said, in order for others to fully comprehend the details disclosed in the Isandhlwana PAPERS.

Never mind a different era different time, it is the same throughout history, so time passed is not a defence...

Therefore, I put to all, if the details contained within the Isandhlwana PAPERS was leaked today, it not only would be in the BBC news amongst others, it�d have documentaries made about it.

Modern military men as well as ex-servicemen would understand the need to clear their names if blamed for the deaths of thousands on the battlefield, when the war itself was illegal, plus the fact an individual of status evaded prosecution due to their connections to high authority.

The real cause of the AZW and the defeat at Isandhlwana needs to be fully transparent for future history students, to form a logical understanding of their own history.

Repeating wrong conclusions amounts to the corruption of what we are built on.

Coll
Alan
Site Admin

It's like everything else these days. People judge events in different eras by their own views which were formed from their upbringing and accounts available.

When reviewing or judging any historic event or person, judgments or opinions should also take into account morals and beliefs from that period. The way of the world.

Indeed.

I�ve probably said already that the silence about the papers is intriguing, especially due to the fact that these papers are now known about and where they can be found.

So, if they are being ignored now, they will definitely resurface again, but the next time it might be by an actual historian, which may then raise the obvious question - why were they not reacted to when first seen in Kris�s book, why was everyone so silent, yet this is primary source evidence from a military investigation in the aftermath, in usual cases might actually be termed historic �gold�.

I�ve researched a bit about the silence, non-disclosure of relevant materials, and what was not said at the time, rather than what was, when important details were forthcoming, and found a law term that fits perfectly - �lying by omission�.

Therefore, it is my hope that the Isandhlwana papers are now entered into the historical record, and included in any future books about Isandhlwana, as I think there was a phrase which went more-or-less like - �history is what most people agree on, until, any new evidence or discoveries are made, that makes it necessary to amend it�.

It is so strange to see the recent plugging of other AZW books to be released, about Isandhlwana and Rorke�s Drift, when Kris�s are bypassed without a word by those supposedly keenly interested in Isandhlwana.

I started this topic, as I know Kris herself won�t ask about lack of reviews, it�s only fair to give her books similar coverage, even if it is by myself.

The Isandhlwana Papers will resurface in print again, as stated, probably by someone else, so they won�t be going away any time soon.
Colin

As an update -

I�ve suggested to the Durnford family to request that ALL the Isandhlwana Papers are released into the hands of a lawyer, including those documents that are missing but may still exist in the archives of the RE Museum stored in the wrong files.

If unsuccessful, to request through a lawyer, an application for a court order that compels the RE Museum to search for and release ALL documents related to the Isandhlwana Papers, as part of the �discovery� for a modern re-evaluation of the inquiry held not long after Isandhlwana, that deliberately excluded the RE investigation as evidence, important to the case as detailed by lawyers at the time, the latter unwilling to be involved due to the power of the Shepstone family.

The Official Narrative should have been amended in further reprints, that Durnford was not ordered to take command of the camp at Isandhlwana, but intriguingly never happened, yet this �official� account is still believed.

If ALL these papers are finally released and officially entered into the historical records, there is going to be a lot of explaining to do.
Colin

As an aside -

Does anyone know if the Freedom Of Information Act applies here, that any organisation that is publicly funded, even partly, that the latter have a right to request any and all relevant information known to be held in their archives ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMCOFNFS0Yw&t=7s

I did read that this Act does include museums.

Only seen it being used by a member of the public in a recent documentary, regarding an investigation he had undertaken, but it is very new to myself.

Thanks in advance...as these papers, unless released, will stay wrongly filed and buried for another century.

By then all interest in the AZW may have faded into, well...history

Last edited by Colin on Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Young

Colin,

Why do you feel the need for such extreme measures?

If the papers are available from the Royal Engineers Library there should be no necessity to resort to the course of action you suggest. The only restriction at present might be the Covid-19 Regulations.

It has been some time since I was last in contact with the family member that I know, I would interested to hear their thoughts on the matter.

JY
Colin

John

It�s extreme, but appears to be somewhat a necessary consideration, whether anybody pursues the above options is another matter.

These papers were literally found by accident, wrongly filed and many not readily available to the public, others documents, etc., are missing with many or all possibly also filed wrongly, that would clarify the events post-Isandhlwana, that activities were taking place outside of the norm, to firmly lay blame on Durnford, giving the impression also that the RE had distanced themselves from him in the aftermath, unbeknownst to the outside world the RE were conducting their own investigation over many years, not just Edward, Frances and Luard, the latter three all being discredited in one way or another since, with the RE evidence itself suppressed.

How does one then go about getting these files into the historical record, if actually doing nothing to get them ALL searched for and released officially into the public domain ?

Kris� volumes have been ignored, her work in discovering said papers not praised or even reacted to, when what might be considered important but lesser finds applauded. How can that be the case if a subject is to be studied fully for the sake of future history.

There is no response from either enthusiasts, historians or AZW authors at all, until obviously yourself now, to this information released best part of two years ago.

Surely. it is in the best interests of the Durnford family and the history of the Zulu War 1879, to have ALL the archived evidence file Papers and the amending of the Official Narrative Of The Zulu War to officially recognise Durnford was not ordered to take command of the camp, therefore did not disobey orders.

I�m astounded at the non-reaction to this evidence, sought by the Durnford family and wished for by myself for many years, to be dismissed outright.

The Isandhlwana Papers themselves don�t seem to have been stored since discovery, as far as I know, into the one file, clearly labelled and readily available for study.

I did plan on giving up my membership recently on this my last forum, as it seems very apparent that my posts, the new discoveries regarding Durnford, especially Isandhlwana and its aftermath without saying something a bit surprising or extreme as I�ve done here to get any reactions finally, which I really appreciate you have now done, to get debates or discussions started.

The Durnford family through Kris and others, in their valiant efforts to defend their ancestor, have obviously a personal interest to clear Anthony�s name and reputation, therefore can not speak in the same way I do as an outsider, with nothing to gain and no direct connection, but like everybody else who wants honest history.

All I�ve said above is my own opinion, better than saying nothing at all.

I couldn�t just sit and accept silence on this matter, as it�d defeat the purpose of all my related posts in the past 15+ years.

However, I do believe thanks to finally getting a reply by your good self, it�ll take new enthusiasts with a similar viewpoint as myself, to come forward and to continue such discussions.

Thanks for replying John

Regards

Coll

PS. I�m still on occasion in contact with Kris herself, but have not discussed fully any of the above, especially the Freedom Of Information Act. However, I�ll let it rest as suggestions only, as nothing else seems to work
Damian

Are these volumes actually available for purchase anywhere. I cannot seem to find them anywhere
John Young

Damian,

I purchased my copies from Amazon.co.uk.

John Y.
Alan
Site Admin

Thank you kindly
AMB

An interesting set; I'd not seen these before.

Noting that some have already purchased - are they worth one's coin?

Have the editorial issues been resolved?

AMB
timothylrose

Sadly no one seems to want to comment the author is on Facebook and has
been asked directly what the score is but no affirmative replies have been made
nor has anyone confirmed anything - I paid out the full price at the start -
maybe someone needs to take a punt at the cheap e bay ones and hope?
Alan
Site Admin

Timothy, unfortunately Colin, who raised the topic, has left our forum. He knows as much about Durnford as anyone.