rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
906 Pte. John Connolly redication
Alan
Site Admin

The rededication of 906 Pte. John Connolly's new headstone is scheduled for 10am Wednesday 23rd. January 2019, Section A,
Danygraig Cemetery, Danygraig Roed, Swansea.

John Connolly born at Trevethin, Pontypool, Monmouthshire. Attested at Brecon 22/11/1876 age 18 years.
South Africa Medal With Clasp 1877-8-9.

Well done to those involved in organising the event, hope it goes well for you.
Unfortunately, being midweek I can't get there but will make a point of visiting when I am next in the area.

Regards, Colin Fielding.
Alan
Site Admin

The chap's name is Peter Hall. He's spent a lot of time on the project
and it's a credit to him and everyone involved.

It does look a bit lonely.

Is this the same Pte Connolly that was in the hospital building with a twice re-arranged leg?

Regs, Col.
Alan
Site Admin

There was 199 John Connolly who was killed at Isandhlwans as was his brother 722 Pte. Cornelius.

906 Connolly was the only one at RD. The Noble 24th. only mentioned a partial dislocation to a knee at the Lower Tugela on 25/02/79.

Thanks, that'll be him then!

Regs, Col.
Alan
Site Admin

You may be interested in this YouTube video of the rededication.

https://youtu.be/ov-BQHGvIXM

There has been a tracing of Pte. Connolly's present day relatives, thanks to the efforts of Peter Hall and
John Thomas. Here is a report by Peter on their visit to the newly dedicated grave.

Private John Connolly was at the battle of Rorke�s Drift but was buried in an unmarked paupers grave
at Danygraig Cemetery Port Tennant Swansea in 1906 - he laid buried and forgotten for 113 years
until recently when a memorial stone was given free of charge by Nurse and Payne Memorials and
his grave re-dedicated after some detective work by local Swansea historians Peter Hall and John Thomas.

Although the quest to have a memorial for Private John Connolly was achieved it was hoped that
living relatives of Private Connolly could be traced.

At the time of the memorial rededication it was thought that the chances of John Connolly having living
relatives seemed very obscure but Peter Hall and John Thomas sought the help of two Swansea
genealogists Anthony James and John Griffiths.

They put together a family tree of the Connolly family and their movements from Swansea in 1906 and
traced them to the area of Monmouth.

Private John Connolly had originally joined the Monmouth Militia and then went on to the 24th Warwickshire
Regiment that fought at Rorke�s Drift, so was it possible that the family had relocated back to the Monmouth area.

After an article in the South Wales Argus Alison, Kevin and Emma Connolly of Monmouth contacted Peter Hall
- Kevin Connolly said that a family member was at Rorke�s Drift but didn�t know any other details other
than what a relative had told him.

For a number of years Alison Connolly had tried to find out if the story was correct but it couldn�t be verified
that is until the work of the Swansea genealogists and her own genealogy research did indeed confirm
that Private John Connolly buried in Swansea was their long lost relative.

At 10am On Saturday 31st August the Connolly family met Peter Hall and John Thomas at 1940s Swansea
Bay Museum Swansea and then visited the grave of Private John Connolly where a wreath was laid by the
family - they also visited two streets in Swansea where he lived one of which he was taken from to his
final resting place.

YouTube Video Link to Family Laying Wreath
https://youtu.be/iEBWJRKOmy0

https://www.inyourarea.co.uk/news/paupers-grave-rededicated-as-swansea-historians-reunite-long-lost-family/

Thanks for this post.
I've been fascinated by the actions of those involved at Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift. I have a family connection with the Zulu wars which I'm trying to get to the bottom of. Not much success yet. I'm on a mission to create my own database of the graves in the UK and overseas, then (hopefully) visit them. I've done those in Philip's Park Manchester and hope to get to S Wales shortly.
Alan
Site Admin

Many participants listed here have burial details and locations. Those in the 24th. Regt. are listed in 'The Noble 24th.' by Norman Holmes.