rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Recommended Books On These Subjects ?
Coll

I've got a few firearms books ordered, but wondered if recommended titles could be included in this forum on the subjects specified, to contain all the relevant information required in the one place for easier reference ?

If 1 or 2 of the firearms books I receive are any good, I'd like to list them here under this forum heading. Is that okay ?

Thanks

Coll
Sawubona

Obviously Skennerton's books for a start! And my thanks, Coll, for your seemingly to have gotten whole thing going as a subset of the main forum.
Coll

Sawubona

Thanks. Where the AZW battle(s) are concerned, it is thanks to the authors and historians that I now understand a great deal about Isandlwana/Rorke's Drift etc., but regarding specifics, such as uniforms, equipment, and firearms in particular, I hadn't really obtained many titles on these subjects, for identification and workings, etc.

However, recently I had the opportunity (financially) to acquire some books (including Skennerton) on the Martini Henry and the Snider, as well as other titles about the mid-late 19th Century American firearms - Sharps, Spencer, Winchester, Colt. There is another title which wasn't in stock when I ordered, but hopefully will obtain soon - 'Revolvers of the British Services 1854-1954.' Chamberlain & Taylerson.

Thanks again

Coll
Sawubona

Don't have it myself, but when you do get it you can enlighten us all as to the answer to the caliber questions raised elsewhere on this particular forum!
Michael Boyle

I have the book at home and as I finally have a weekend off (after only about two months!) I'll post what I can later tonight. As I recall, although I've only skimmed it so far, it's much heavier on the 20th century.

MAB
Coll

Perhaps I should also suggest a gallery to accompany this forum, with photographs to help identify firearms, equipment, etc., possibly including specifications or a small paragraph alongside the image, giving a bit more details about the item illustrated. Smile

Coll Wink
Recommended Books On These Subjects ?