rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Definition please
a.j

Could someone give me a definition or more than one of what a last stand actually is?

I always thought that it is when one unit of an army (or the whole army) got killed.

But there are many examples of where there has been survivors from a last stand and there have been others where the soldiers involved in the last stand have actually won (e.g. Rorke's Drift)
scarletto7

well, you've the last stand meaning everyone dies, or a hopeless case where everyone should die (but doesn't) Camerone, Rorke's drift, arnhem bridge.

Thats my idea of a last stand Confused
GlennWade

AJ, my own theory and indeed I think the general accepted pharse of a 'last stand' is used where there are no survivors proper. All the 'last stands' at Isandlwana are prime examples. The use of the word 'last' sort of implies that whoever is involved will not be making more stands in the future. I personally would not refer to Rorke's Drift as a 'last stand'.

Others may differ.....................

Cheers

Glenn

I stand partially corrected. This from wikipedia.org

'A last stand is a loose military term used to describe a body of troops holding a defensive position in the face of overwhelming odds. The defensive force usually takes very heavy casualties and on occasion is completely destroyed.'

I suppose, like all things, it is open to interpretation.........

Glenn

Also there is the term used for the first line of attack against a breach in a defensive wall etcetera. The delightfully named "Forlorn Hope".
Definition please