rorkesdriftvc.com Forum Index

rorkesdriftvc.com
Discussions related to the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879
Reply to topic
Melvill & Coghill's bodies
Kenty

I must admit that when I read some of these posts I feel rather backward amongst so many learned people.

Anyhow, I have another question that perhaps I should know the answer to but I blatantly do not!

Were the bodies of both Melvill and Coghill stripped? The paintings would suggest not but what is the truth? If they were not then why not? Is it because they were killed by a group of warriors that were not part of the right horn?

Apologies if going over old ground but comments as ever appreciated.

Kenty
John Young

Kenty,

This from the Daphne Child edited version of the Zulu War Journal of Henry Charles Harford. Published 1978 in Pietermaritzburg by Shuter & Shooter.
'...Both were clearly recognisable. Melvill was in red, and Coghill in blue, uniform. Both were lying on their backs about a yard from each other, Melvill at right angles to the path and Coghill parallel to it, a little above Melvill and with his head up-hill. Both had been assegaied, but otherwise their bodies had been left untouched.

Major Black at once said, "Now we shall see whether they have the Colours on them", and proceeded to unbutton Melvill's serge, while I open Coghill's patrol jacket...'

I've got some other references, I'll sort them out for you.

John Y.
clive dickens

[
b]
John
Correct me if I am wrong but Melvills and Coghills grave where vandalised some years back and when all was being corrected a number of items where found which could have only been with a uniform some of these items among tham an officers cap badge are on display in the Moths museum in Dundee which I have had the pleasure of visiting and for anyone going out to SA I strongly recommend a visit.
Clive
Kenty

Thank you John.

Actually I read that very passage today in Mike Snook's LWOTF. Is there any explanation as to why they were not stripped or at least ideas? It does seem strange that they were given the same treatment as the others in one sense i.e. repeatedly stabbed but not in another.

Yours obediently

Kenty
Melvill & Coghill's bodies